Chapter 20

(John's POV)

Isabel was so pale as she stood up and took a step away from him. She was trying to protect someone. Who could it be? A brother? Or maybe Henry? He had seen them talking when she first arrived. It could be anyone, since she was that kind of person who would feel a sense of loyalty to whoever tried to protect her. He wished he would have been the one to protect her.

But what had the bailiff done to her? Richard had been clutching a knife.

"Did he hurt you?" He stepped closer.

"Who? No, no. I'm not hurt."

But he saw her hand go to her arm and rub it.

"Tell me the truth? Did he hurt you?'

Her bottom lip trembled. "He hurt my arm, and hurt my face to keep me quiet. But he didn't hurt me in the way you mean. Although he would have if I hadn't gotten away." Tears started gathering in her eyes.

He should've been there. "Let me see your arm."

She held out her arm. He grasped her arm and pulled up the sleeve to reveal bruises on her wrist and upper arm.

"Come on."

He took her hand and he led her to the door. "You have to go." He hurried her toward the door, much too aware of the softness of her small hand in his. "Don't tell anyone about what happened. Climb in bed and pretend everything is fine. I will tell you if the bailiff dies. Otherwise you have to assume he is alive." He opened the door. "Now go."

(Isabel's POV)

Isabel climbed into bed. Thankfully no one even noticed her missing.

Olive walked in and Isabel's stomach sank. Did Olive know her father could be dead?

What kind of father had the bailiff been? Poor Olive. She already lost most of her family. She has only one sister who was married and lived in another village, and apparently an aunt. Isabel's body seemed to sink deeper in the mattress with guilt and regret.

The thoughts from the night hit Isabel as soon as she woke up the next morning. Miss Elizabeth walked in and took Olive outside, no doubt to tell her what happened. How would Olive react to her father's accident? What if he wakes up and tells everyone that Henry and I tried to kill him? She felt her body go cold.

Isabel waited for Olive to return to the room, but she never came back.

The news spread quickly that something terrible had happened to Bailiff Richard and soon everyone was talking about it. Everybody liked him. Who would do such a thing?

She eventually learned that Bailiff Richard was still unconscious. After hearing the news, she wanted to talk to Lord Goodwin to find out what he was thinking.

Her mind was haunted with the image of Bailiff Richard's face as he held her knife, of her fear as he gripped her face, of Henry throwing the rock, and of the bailiff's body on the ground. The images attacked her at off moments. By late afternoon, she was nearly in tears.

Miss Elizabeth came into the kitchen with a basket and set it near the door. "Child, you don't look like yourself at all. Are you feeling sick?"

"No. I feel fine."

"I guess we're all feeling a little upset with the bailiff being injured and possibly on his deathbed. The poor soul." She looked at Isabel. "Child, you're so pale. You don't look well at all. Why don't you lie down on your bed for a little bit."