Chapter 30

(Isabel's POV)

Murmurs went through the crowd.

"He knew that my father would protect me from him forcing him on me and then refusing to marry me."

Loud gasps went around everywhere. Isabel felt sick. Lord Goodwin and Olive? The thought made her want to throw up. But no, he wouldn't do such a thing. I don't believe it. I won't believe it.

Lord Goodwin replied. "That's a lie." His face was blank.

The jury continued with their questions. "Did you see the knife in the bailiff's hand when he was found?"

"Yes."

"Have you ever seen that knife before?"

"No. It wasn't my father."

Sir Neville spoke up. "You still haven't asked about the bailiff's attack or how he was attacked. Olive, do you have any facts?"

"Someone tried to kill my father." She stepped towards Sir Neville while her hands turned into fists. "I have nothing else to say!" She turned around and walked into the crowd.

The speaker in the jury announced, "The jury wants to question the one who discovered the bailiff's body, Lord John Goodwin."

Lord Goodwin stepped forward. 

The speaker cleared his throat. "Did you find the body of the bailiff in the woods?"

"Yes, I did."

"And you were the first to discover him?"

"As far as I know."

"Did you hear the bailiff yell?"

"No."

"Then how come you were in the woods around that time?"

"I was going to the men's outhouse."

"Did you find anyone there with the body?"

"No."

Olive's voiced yelled out. "Did you kill my father?"

"No, I didn't kill your father."

"Then how come my father was found on the ground with a knife in his hand."

"I don't know."

"My father was in perfect health! Now my father doesn't even know who he is! Ever since you came into this village, we have had nothing but bad fortune. There is a curse upon us and this man had brought the curse!" She pointed at Lord Goodwin. 

Isabel stood in disbelief. Why is Olive saying things like this? Her only thought was to stand by his side and to defend him. She stepped forward.

"No, Isabel." Henry caught her arm and pulled her back.

She shook off his hand and crossed her arms.

The jury seemed to pretend that nothing happened as they called two other people and asked them questions, but they didn't have any new information to share.

"If no one has any information, we are forced to declare that what happened to Bailiff Richard was an accident." The speaker of the jury said.

Isabel watched Sir Neville's face. He knew everything, but he wasn't saying anything.

The jury dismissed everybody.

Isabel turned and went to the house.

Six weeks later

Isabel hummed as she hung clothes on the line.