Chapter 34

(John's POV)

"Jeremiah will carry the rings," Miss Elizabeth said as they were preparing to walk to the church. Jeremiah smiled.

John held his head high as he watched the child walk through the front door. John and Isabel linked arms as they followed Jeremiah.

A large gathering of people stood in the lawn. As soon as they stepped through the front door, the crowd saw them and fell silent. John's body tensed and Isabel took a step back. The scene brought back the memory that happened three weeks ago, when the villagers held weapons and stood there, preparing to kill John.

"What do you want?" John asked them.

A  man walked forward. "We have come to ask for your forgiveness, my lord, for what we were going to do when we followed Bailiff Richard. We shouldn't have come here with the intent of killing our lord." The group around him nodded and kept their heads down. "We were led astray by Richard, who now got what he deserved. And we are thankful that Isabel Smith said what she said."

John asked, "What happened to Richard?"

"He was really sick for about two weeks now, and this morning, he took his final breath. He's dead."

So Richard was gone forever, the people were asking for forgiveness, and he was marrying Isabel. What a wonderful day it was.

"You are forgiven," said John.

"Thank you, my lord." The man bowed down and some villagers followed his example.

Dustin stepped forward. "Your lord is getting married today. Let us wish Lord Goodwin and his lovely bride and happy marriage."

A loud cheer rose through the crowd.

John turned to Isabel and kissed her cheek.

They made their way down the steps, the crowd parting for them. They were walking on the path that led to the church with some men playing instruments playing around them. Jeremiah, holding the rings, led the way.

John didn't pay any attention to the people celebrating around them. Instead, his attention was the girl next to him, looking so beautiful in a soft blue dress that brought out her eyes. Soon she would be his, and he would love her with every beat of his heart.

Soon, they were in the church standing in front of the preacher. Their vows were said and the preacher made them husband and wife. 

They emerged from the church. He looked out over the crowd of people. In the front was Henry and his fiance, Naomi. They were going to get married in five weeks. Everyone who stood before them no longer looked like his enemies. A few of the villagers looked sheepish and avoided his gaze, but no one looked at him with anger or resentment.

They had all accepted his forgiveness and they all wished him and Isabel well. 

This was what he wanted when he came to Glynval, though he never thought he would get married again. 

A white flake floated down from the sky. Then more came down and everyone noticed and looked up.

"It's snowing." Isabel looked at him and laughed. "It's snowing on our wedding day."

The snow raced down, covering everything and everyone. Children yelled and held out their tongues to catch the flakes. Smiles grew wider on every face. John led the crowd back to the yard in front of his house, where the reception was going to be.

It was kind of ironic that he was celebrating his wedding in the same place where people accused him of murder.

But today it looked different. The blanket of snow quickly covered the courtyard, making it beautiful.

Several voices began to chant, "Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!"

John turned his attention to Isabel. Snowflakes stuck to her eyelashes, making her blue eyes sparkle. He kissed her.

Cheers went up from the crowd. He pulled away as music started to play. 

He whispered to his wife, "Shall we dance?"

"We shall."

                                                                        THE END