CHAPTER 25

Silence.
Not even the whispering sounds of the wind made a sound. The only thing they could hear was their furiously beating hearts.

Both of them looked at the solid rocks beside their feet. The ground seemed to be more interesting than their unresolved issues.

She decided to look up from the ground and pull up the big girl socks up.

Yamihle : I think we should break up.

He quickly looked up from the ground . He couldn't believe his ears. Never had he thought that such words would come out of her mouth.

Asanele : What..what are you saying?

His voice was breaking and he felt a strangling feeling on his throat.

Yamihle : I spent the whole week thinking about my future. I want to focus on myself just like you have been doing.

Asanele : I'm not following.

Yamihle : When were you going to inform me about the UCT offer?

Asanele gulped down heavy saliva. He looked at the calm- looking girl besides him.

He knew that she was angry.

Asanele: I was going to tell you.

Yamihle : Ndak'bona ingathi isingesi siyakohlula . Ubuzondixelela nini?

( I can see English is difficult for you. When were you going to tell me?)

Asanele : I don't know.

Yamihle : It means you didn't even have the intentions of telling me . I think we have met our dead end.

Asanele : Don't speak like that Mimi.

He tried to touch her arm but the look he got made him retreat. If looks had power ,Asanele would have burnt to death .

Asanele : I'm sorry. I was wrong. As my partner I should have informed .

Yamihle : Yeah , whatever. Can I go now?

Asanele : Mimi please don't do this. I love you .

Yamihle : You don't hide such important stuff from someone you love. I bet your friends knew ,right ?

His silence confirmed it.

Yamihle : Wow ! So I'm the joke? Ndim ikaw'si mos apha?

( So I'm the fool here?)

Asanele : You won't understand , the gents are important to me.

Yamihle : And I'm not ?

Asanele : I didn't mean it like that .

Yamihle : You know what ? I don't blame you . I blame myself and my stupid mind.

Asanele : I'm sorry .

Yamihle : Please tell me the truth , do you still want to be in a relationship with me ?

A thick membrane of silence surrounded them. Yamihle couldn't stop the tears that slid out of her eyes.

Yamihle : I get it , good luck with your life.

With that being said, she stood up. Darkness started to claim the clouds as she descended the mountain.

Asanele watched her as she disappeared away from his eye reach.

It was over.
A relationship for many years was over .

Asanele: Oh God , what have I done ?

Tears slid down as he covered his face with his hands.

***********