CHAPTER VI

" We did a CT scan which is a series of xray images that show if there's been any damage or disease. Before anything I would like to tell you that your child is in safe hands, okay?"

Lucia was in a meeting with the doctors in the department of neurology. She was becoming nervous with every passing minute and the fact that she was surrounded by four male doctors and only one female doctor was definitely not helping.

It has been four days since Jayden had been admitted to the hospital and it was not easy for Lucia. She tried to be strong for her son ,but the fear of losing him was just above her.

You would have thought that Shane would have a change of heart since his son was in hospital, but the devil will always be the devil. Not even once did he visit his son , even if it's by mistake.

Lucia nervously nodded . She said a silent prayer as she looked at the doctor who has been great support to her , Dr Lubanzi.
They have formed a very much friendly relationship.

" We dictated that there has been a growing mass of tissues in Jayden's brain stem. In simple terms , there's a tumour growing in his brain stem just close to his medulla oblongata . I'm sure you have noticed that he can't breath on his own and that is because the tumour is growing so fast that it is putting pressure on his blood vessels."

Lucia was so confused .
Tumour?
Brain stem?
Can't breath on his own ?

This hit her so hard that she struggled  to breathe for a second. Lubanzi looked at her with worried before passing her some water. She closed her eyes as she drank the water in one go.

" Is it cancerous, the tumour I mean?" She boldly asked as she tried to mask her true feelings , but Lubanzi could see through her.

" It is not cancerous, but removing is a very difficult and dangerous thing to do. " The older looking male doctor answered.

He continued, " I'm sorry miss ,but we could  lose the patient. There are les.."

Lubanzi interjected the senior doctor. He had been quiet all this while. He was a man of few of words and would voice out his opinions when necessary. "I will do the surgery. "

This simple statement got everyone showing multiple emotions. The other doctors were definitely against him,especially the senior doctor. Lucia looked at him with adoration.

" No such thing will happen . "
Said the senior doctor with annoyance lacing in his tone. He was never a fan of Lubanzi or any black person in general.

" Doctor Marsha I have no time for your apartheid thingies.  I'm going to do the operation and I will take responsibility if anything happens."

The senior doctor tried to contain his anger by clenching his fist. " It's not about taking responsibility, but the hospital's reputation will also be tainted. You young people take decisions carelessly and as your senior i oppose this." The other doctor were scared of voicing out their opinions and chose to keep quiet.

Lubanzi was way too calm for someone who was in a cross fire. " This is not a matter of  seniority ,but a matter of capability. Weither you want to believe it or not, I'm the best man for the job. I will do the surgery with or without your approval and besides I don't answer to you. And now if the mother of the patient agrees , I would like to start the operation. "

Lucia felt like she could  trust Lubanzi. He has never given her any reason not to trust him.

" Please save my baby."

"Don't worry too much. I will make sure everything goes well."

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

It has been hours since Lubanzi has been operating on Jayden. You could see the determination that was written all over his face. He made a promise to Lucia and he was not going to break it.

" We are losing doctor. His heart beat is slowing down."

That didn't cause him to panic ,but it pushed him to do his work . He was not going to allow Jayden to die in his hands. Lubanzi saw how warmly Lucia looked at her son and he was not going to be the reason Lucia lost her source of happiness.

At the cafeteria, Lucia was sitting there trying not to think the worst. She didn't want to be alone with her thoughts ,but being alone was the only option she had.

Deep in thoughts she didn't even see the company she now had. The whole and superintendent came to seat with her.

" Hey Lucia." Nela smiled as she pushed as bottle of still water in Lucia's direction.
Startled by the warm and calm voice of Nela , she forced a smile.

" Hey ma'am ."
She tried being nice , but the thought of even smiling felt like she was betraying her son who was being operated.

Nela looked at her with pain written all over her eyes. She felt bad for Lucia because she failed her as a mother .
She had asked one of the nurses to 'take'
few strands of Lucia's hair and she did a DNA test. She knew it was wrong to do so ,but she was also a desperate mother who had been robbed the chance to raise her daughter.

It pained her to hear her own blood to call her "ma'am" as if she was just some random old lady.

Ma'am is my mother ,not me. I'm still very much young thank you.

She was a very dramatic woman. In her home , Mthunzi would agree to anything she says just to avoid any arguments. Even their children knew that Nela was the Queen of the family so what she says is definitely what must happen. In simple terms she was just a drama queen. Just like some girl who was once Yamihle ,but now is Lucia .

" Please my dear don't call me ma'am , Nela would be fine."

Nela ?
That felt wrong . Lucia could not call her that , she was an elder . She was old enough to be her mother. The irony.

" I'm sorry ma'am ,but I can't do that. I mean you are my elder ." Lucia shyly replied.

"You can call me mama then ."
Nela knew she was pushing it ,but she just wanted to her daughter call her mama.

Lucia didn't think much to it . Growing up she never had a figure who acted as a true mother. Enzo's mother treated her in an unhumane manner.The one woman who loved her like her own was Mavis , but that bloody evil Shane kidnapped her even before they could strengthen their bond.

" Okay mama."
Lucia smiled as she took small sips from the water provided by Nela. She couldn't stomach anything lately and that's because of Jayden's condition.

Lucia didn't know that those two simple words meant the world to the woman sitting opposite her.

Nela wanted to record so that she could listen to Lucia's melodious voice for the rest of her life. She knew that what she was about to ask for was totally out , but she couldn't help herself.

" Can I hug you ?"

Lucia was taken back by her request. It was not everyday the superintendent of a hospital asks her for a hug. It was like her mind had a mind of its own , she saw herself agreeing to hug Nela.

At the cafeteria there went much people , those who were there were either eating or simply minding their own businesses.

The two women were quite vertically challenged. It was clear who Lucia took after. Height wise obviously , as for her looks Mthunzi's genes are the ones responsible.

Nela opened her loving arms for her daughter and the latter reciprocated the hug. To say she was happy would be underemphasizing , she was over the moon.
Her first hug with her last born.

As for Lucia , she just melted in Nela's arms. It is true that a mother's embrace is unique. Even though she was in the dark about her relationship with Nela , she felt at peace in her arms. The hug was something she needed.

💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙

🤘 Danko bantase
Iyabulela idyani 🤣
Asbonge ✌️