Chapter 7

It was a Saturday morning. We were all sitting at breakfast when the Slytherin Imelda Reyes came up to us, fuming. "Oggspire! Tell me why I have to share the Quidditch pitch with you for today's tryout!" "What?" Nellie jumped up in horror. "What do you mean 'share'?" Imelda pressed a piece of parchment against her chest. You could practically see the smoke rising from her ears. As Nellie examined the parchment, her expression darkened and now her ears were ringing, too. "What's that about? How are we supposed to train properly and think about strategies? I'm going to see Madam Kogawa. That's not possible!" "I'll come with you. I signed up for today", Imelda hissed. Nellie snapped back: "Obviously I signed up for today too, numbnuts!" Quarreling, the two made their way to Madam Kogawa, who was not only responsible for the flight lessons at Hogwarts but also for organizing the Quidditch games and training.

"Y/N, are you going to apply for a position in the Quidditch team?" Natty asked, wide-eyed. "I heard that you could beat Imelda's records at each of her circuits. I'm sure you'd be good as a Seeker." I shook my head. "I don't know. I've heard Quidditch can become pretty rough. A brawl on broomsticks, if you like to put it that way." I briefly considered whether I might not like this part of the sport. "On the other hand, I'm always up for a little excitement." "I'd definitely cheer for you", Poppy encouraged. I smiled sheepishly at her. "Thanks, Poppy."

After breakfast, I slipped into my duelist outfit, which I had recently worn while practicing in the undercroft. What's good for fighting will also be enough for trial training. I tied my hair up in a sporty ponytail so it wouldn't block my view later. Excited about what to expect, I made my way to the Quidditch pitch. Could Nellie and Imelda resolve the earlier dispute? I was just getting to the lower end of the grand staircase when, deep in thought, I bumped into someone. "Watch where you're going!" "Excuse me, I-" The person I had walked into turned to me, I looked up to see that I had just bumped into Sebastian Sallow. "Where are you going, Speedy?" Sebastian put on a crooked grin. He was wearing brown corduroy trousers and an emerald green long-sleeved shirt, which emphasized his upper body incredibly well and left me speechless for a moment. I quickly caught myself. "To the Quidditch pitch. Today is the Gryffindor trial and I just wanted to give it a try." "You're always up for a challenge, aren't you?" Sebastian chuckled. "But as luck would have it, I'm on my way to the Quidditch pitch for the same reason. Not to play for Gryffindor, of course, but to wipe the floor with you guys the next match." His eyes sparkled with the same challenging sparkle that had lit up before our first duel and it made my head dizzy. "We'll see who's going to wipe the floor with whom here." With mock pride, I continued my way out without waiting for my friend. Laughing, he ran after me and we went together to the Quidditch pitch in front of the castle.

Nellie and Imelda were already waiting on the field, neither of whom looked particularly enthusiastic. So both houses had to share the field for training. A few Gryffindors and Slytherins were already there, chattering excitedly. When Nellie saw us, her bad-tempered grimace turned to an expression of astonishment and surprise. "Y/N! You are here Natty had hinted something along those lines earlier. Now we're sure of the house cup." My friend's enthusiasm made me blush. "Calm down. We still don't know if I'm even good enough to play." "We'll find out now." Nellie now spoke to everyone: "Since we have to share the field today, Imelda and I have thought about something: The candidates for the position of Keeper train with the candidates for the Chasers of the other house. That makes the whole thing more real and much more interesting. The prospects for the Beaters play shuffled amongst themselves, and the Seekers compete in duels." Imelda took over the word. "We'll start with the Keepers and Chasers. Everyone else takes a seat in the stands." I turned to Sebastian. "What position are you applying for?" Sebastian stood proudly in front of me. "Keeper. What about you?" "Seeker. Good luck then. Um, I mean, we'll beat the stuffing out of you, Sallow!"