Chapter 43

The lesson was anything but quiet. Professor Weasley tried in vain to draw the class's attention to the task of turning a stone into an apple. But Garreth's appearance at the start of the lesson had everyone in a frenzy, with the curious teenagers speculating wildly about what it might be all about. I tried desperately to concentrate on the task, but the chatter around me regularly distracted me. Sebastian seemed to notice my tension because he kept stroking my back soothingly. Defeated, Professor Weasley ended class fifteen minutes early.

The class left the classroom, still chattering excitedly. Sebastian intertwined his fingers with mine, and we strolled across the Transfiguration Courtyard with Nellie and Poppy. "Do you think Garreth knows?" Nellie asked in a whisper so only we could hear her. I nodded. "I'm almost certain of that. Leander is his best friend, after all." Poppy tripped over her own feet in surprise and stumbled. "Do you think Garreth knew all along?" I frowned thoughtfully. "At least he knew about Halloween. He was there when... Well." "When I remodelled Leander's face," Sebastian finished my sentence I didn't want to say. "Weasley sat next to it and almost wet himself. I'm still surprised he didn't run straight to his aunt." Sebastian grimaced as if he had an extremely bitter taste on his tongue. "Leander probably told him not to do it," I mused. "I kicked him in the groin after all. And Garreth will probably have asked him what happened. Even though Leander may not have told him the truth, I do think Garreth is intelligent enough to know that I don't just kick boys in the crotch for no reason." "Wait a minute! You did what?" Nellie's voice cracked, and I could have sworn I heard a suppressed, gleeful giggle. "I had to defend myself somehow," I replied sheepishly. Nellie raised her hand, grinning. "He so deserves that. Hit it!" I hesitated. "I don't think that's a reason for a high five," I muttered, and Nellie dropped her hand in disappointment. "True. Sorry."

We entered the vast entrance hall, where we parted ways. Nellie and Poppy headed straight for their next class while Sebastian and I turned right towards Professor Sharp's classroom. In the corridor, I spotted Cressida and Garreth sitting next to each other on one of the stone benches. Their expressions were serious. Cressida looked nervous and somewhat afraid, while Garreth looked like he was going to throw up at any moment. Did she tell him about Leander?

We were early and wanted to prepare our seats, but some of our classmates were already gathering in front of the door. "It's locked," snorted Andrew Larson, a Ravenclaw. "Then try Alohomora," suggested Adelaide Oakes knowingly. Andrew shot the Hufflepuff a venomous look. "I never even came up with the idea," he replied sarcastically. "Well, see?" The blonde proudly stuck out her chest. "You Ravenclaws aren't as smart as you think you are." The blonde Ravenclaw rolled his eyes in annoyance, threw his arms in the air in defeat, and walked away from Adelaide, shaking his head. Escaping would probably have been more appropriate. Sebastian and I watched the Hufflepuffs as they repeatedly cast Alohomora on the lock and desperately shook the doorknob, even though the spell had no effect. They accused each other of not performing the spell correctly. "You mumbled," Charlotte Morrison hissed at Adelaide and tried again herself – without success. "You didn't do the wand movement correctly," Adelaide snapped at the dark-skinned Hufflepuff. The two girls started arguing, and Sebastian leaned against the wall with an amused face and hands in his pockets. "Don't grin so gleefully," I whispered and nudged him. However, I also had to smile a little. "Has it perhaps occurred to them that Professor Sharp doesn't want us to be able to get into the room yet?" he asked himself rather than me. I shrugged my shoulders. "Maybe. But you have to admit that this is unusual. Normally, the door is always open." "Weasley must have blown up another cauldron. It wouldn't be the first time," Sebastian chuckled. "I heard that, Sallow," Garreth growled, just turning the corner. Cressida wasn't with him. "Good. Your potion attempts suck. You should start to notice that they always go wrong." Garreth stood in front of Sebastian. However, he was not impressed by the Gryffindor. "You know what, Sallow? Suck my di-" "Hey, Garreth, where is Cressida?" I asked. The redhead barely noticed me. "She wanted to freshen up," he replied, still keeping his eyes on Sebastian. "Drop it, Weasley," Sebastian countered Garreth's previous statement. "Otherwise, I'll have a fit of laughter at the sight of the needle you call a cock." "Very mature, boys. Really." Shaking my head, I rolled my eyes. "Don't break your heads while I check on Cressida, okay?" "I can't promise," Garreth and Sebastian growled in a duet. "Well, at least you agree on that."