Chapter 25

TW: Bullying, PTSD

"How nice to see you two again." Sirona, the owner of The Three Broomsticks, greeted Sebastian and me cheerfully as we trudged through the pub's heavy door. The warm air welcomed us warmly, and I could feel my cold cheeks starting to tingle. We headed to the counter, where Sirona washed some jars, and I dug out my wallet. "Hello, Sirona", I smiled at the blonde witch. "Two Butterbeers, please." I gathered four sickles when Sebastian put his hand on my purse. "Put it back. I'll pay." I looked at him with wide eyes. "But we both agreed that I owe you a butterbeer." "I'll pay for the butterbeer." Sebastian's gaze was fixed, and I gave in. "Thank you", I mumbled in embarrassment, putting my wallet back in my jacket pocket. Sebastian kissed my forehead. "Always for you." Sirona had observed us and now smiled gently at us. "I could already see the hearts between you two flying on your first visit here. Glad you two found each other." With a flick of her wand, she levitated two pitchers into the air and slid them under a cask of liquid golden delicacy, where they were filled directly. Sebastian exchanged money for Butterbeer, and we found a cosy seat in the pub. At the other end of the room, by the fireplace, we sprawled on a small couch and placed the mugs on the small table in front of it. We had draped our jackets over one of the armrests. Sebastian put his arm around my shoulders, and I leaned into him. His other hand landed on my thigh, gently stroking my pants' fabric. "Do you remember our first visit here together?" I sighed and closed my eyes. "Yeah, don't remind me. It could have been such a beautiful day, but Rookwood had to burn half the village to rubble with his stupid troll. I have accumulated enough trauma from my first days at Hogwarts to last a lifetime. Not to mention my first year at school." "Well, the day also brought something good", Sebastian whispered, and I turned to him to look into his hazel eyes. "That's the day I fell in love with you." My heart skipped a beat and then started pounding wildly. "Oh, Sebastian! I..." I didn't know what to say, so I pulled him towards me by his sweater and kissed him. As we parted, I stroked his cheek. "You can be really cute sometimes." Now he kissed me. "I try hard."

"Cressida! Your Butterbeer won't pay for itself", I heard Nellie scold and turned to the counter. My friends were about to order, and Cressida was staring at me like I was the devil himself. A nudge from Nellie's elbow in her side snapped the Gryffindor from her thoughts back to reality. Cressida blinked briefly and then turned to Sirona with an expression as if she had bitten into a sour lemon and paid for her hot drink. My other friends waved at me, smiling, and I returned their gesture. When they had all paid, they marched upstairs, out of sight and hearing. Sebastian raised his eyebrows and sipped his Butterbeer before asking in astonishment, "What's the matter with Cressida? She's not usually like that to you." I sighed and looked down. "We quarrelled. The fact that I was with you last night and skipped our gossip session was, in her eyes, a betrayal. What's more, things aren't going well with her crush at the moment." Sebastian took my hands, which were playing nervously with each other, in his. They were so much bigger than my hands, and a few freckles adorned them. "But if her love life isn't going well, why is she taking it out on you? Almost sounds like she's jealous of you. I thought you were friends." "We are friends", I whispered, looking up, after which Sebastian just shook his head. "A friend grants the other their happiness, no matter what it looks like for themselves." I nodded reluctantly. "I'll talk to her tonight. I can't stand the cold between us." Sebastian squeezed my hands briefly to calm me down and give me support. "Do that. I can see how upset you are." Wordlessly, I released my hands from his and snuggled up to him again.

We had almost finished our Butterbeer when we were interrupted by two noses that I could have done without. "Well, if that isn't the whore from Hogwarts." Catherine and her creepy boyfriend stood in front of us. "Are you always targeting purebloods so you can pollute our blood?", the blonde asked. "I see Sister Blainey has lifted the curse from you, but shit is still coming out of your mouth", Sebastian shot at his ex. "Not only that you fuck that Mudblood and be a disgrace to all purebloods, but you also have to defend that little bend?", spat the black-haired Slytherin. "What is it, you bitch? Have you been left speechless?" My throat tightened. I had the feeling that I couldn't breathe anymore, and I only heard the voices dull. "It's better if she shuts up. Not that she'll have something contagious." Sebastian tensed up more and more and brought out in a threatening tone: "If you don't leave us alone, I know completely different curses that I would be only too happy to use on you." Catherine replied something which I no longer understood. My pulse was pounding in my ears, coupled with a high-pitched beeping. I've got to get out of here. I jumped from the sofa in The Three Broomsticks and stormed out of the pub.