CHAPTER 13

I was woken up by the ringing of my phone. I reached for my bedside table to get my phone.

"Hello," medyo inaantok pa ako ng sagutin ko ang tawag.

"I love to hear your sleepy voice," sagot ng lalaki sa kabilang linya. "Good morning baby, did you sleep well?"

"Eniel? Why are you calling me at this hour?" At bumangon ako ng mapansin ko na wala ang lalaki sa tabi ko.

"Baby I'm sorry I wasn't able to say goodbye personally. I needed to go. I'm on my way to the airport."

"Oh you're flying to New York today," at nalungkot ako ng isiping hindi ko makakasama ang lalaki sa susunod na mga araw.

"I'd really want to be there for you. Just say the word and I would cancel this trip."

"No, that trip is important for your company. I'll be fine here. Just be safe," malungkot kong turan.

"I promise to go home as soon as I can. Please take are of yourself baby."

"You too." Then I decided to end the call bago pa ako maiyak dahil sa pangungulila na nararamdaman ko ng mga sandaling yun.

Matamlay ako ng bumangon at naghanda para sa trabaho. Alam kong marami akong kailangang gawin sa opisina. Napakarami pa naming kailangang asisakusin tungkol sa mga nangyari kahapon.

I decided to visit the site where the condos were constructed. My heart sank upon seeing the extent of the damage done. I had a discussion with the workers and I assured them that they are safe to continue working for the completion of the project.

Then after visiting the site, I decided to visit the injured workers at the hospital. I was relieved that the families of the workers were very hospitable and I didn't feel any hostility from them. We talked about their conditions and assured them that the company will take care of all the expenses.

Upon lunch time, I was eating with Andrea in my office. I didn't feel like going out for lunch and just decided to eat at the office. It was just the middle of the day but I feel that I have already worked for five days without rest. This recent debacle took a great toll to my mental health. I felt so exhausted.

The days went on in the same shitty manner. Reports and updates flowing from all over. We re-started the construction of the condo. And my week became longer because I had to be at the office for an extended period in order to try and fix everything. The recent incident did affect the company's credibility and it's turning out to be a very taxing job to try and fix it.

Although Eniel never failed to call me and check on me, the mere phone calls aren't enough to try and ease my longing for him. I missed him so much. I missed having his arms around me and feeling the warmth of his body. And most of all, I missed his kisses.

It's been three days that he was out of the country, but it feels like it's longer than that. What with me being so busy at work and constantly being reminded of the emptiness I feel every night. I can smell him on the pillow that he used and I hugged it tightly every night as if he is beside me.

I was sleeping restlessly tonight. After a very long week, I can't believe that the week is done. Kahit papano ay naayos na rin naman ang gusot sa kompanya. At ramdam ko na hindi na masyadong galit si papa sa 'kin. At least that part of the problem is done, but the other part still haunts me. I missed my fiancée so much. He said he won't be home yet because he's still finalizing everything.

Kahit papano ay nakatulog pa rin ako. Kahit panay ang gising ko sa kalagitnaan ng tulog ko. Nang dumilat ang mga mata ko ay sinalubong ako ng napakagandang berdeng mata na nakita ko sa buong buhay ko. Napakurap ako dahil sa pag-aakalang nananaginip pa rin ako. He gently caressed my face and I knew instantly that he is back.