music competition

age: 13
setting: rhode island

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was stood backstage, looking at myself in the mirror. It was the day of the annual state music competition, and I was super nervous. I was going to preform an original song that I had wrote for my mom. She and my dad were in the audience, and neither of them had heard the song before. I had told them that what I'd be singing was a surprise. They had been looking forward to it all week, my mom even cleared her schedule for the weekend. I don't want to screw this up and disappoint them.

I was wearing brown wide leg jeans with a baby pink crop top and a pair of baby pink converses. My hair was in two french braids and I wore a locket my mom had given me from when I was younger.

"Y/n, you're up next!" I head a teacher call. I picked up my baby pink acoustic guitar and walked towards the end of the stage. I chose this one because it was my favorite one, and it also matched my outfit.

I stood on the sidelines watching my biggest competitor on stage. Her name was Stefania Baran, and she had the voice of an angel. She was "Lovely" by Billie Eilish and was playing it on the piano. It's a basic song for someone to choose to sing, but she sung it so well. I've always been jealous of her voice.

After she was done, she stood up and bowed. The whole auditorium was clapping and some were crying.

"What a lovely preformance from Stefania Baran," I heard the presenter say whilst people replaced the piano with a single microphone stand. "Next up to the stage, please welcome Y/n Swift"

People clapped as I walked on and up to the mic.

"Hey everyone, I'm Y/n Swift!" I looked out to the audience and saw my mom and dad waving at me. "Today I am going to play an original song called The Best Day. I've been wanting to tell my mom about the appreciation I have for her, but I didn't know how to say it. So, I took a page out of her book and decided to sing it instead. Mom, I love you to the moon and to saturn. I hope you all enjoy."

I start to play the first chords and look out into the audience.

"I'm five years old
It's getting cold
I've got my big coat on

I hear your laugh and look up smiling at you
I run and run
Past the pumpkin patch
And the tractor rides
Look now, the sky is gold
I hug your leg
And fall asleep on the way home

I don't know why all the trees change in the fall
But I know you're not scared of anything at all
Don't know if Snow White's house is near or far away
But I know I had the best day with you today

I'm thirteen now
And don't know how
My friends could be so mean

I come home crying
And you hold me tight
And grab the keys
And we drive and drive
Until we found a town far enough away
And we talk and window shop
'Till I forgotten all their names

I don't know who I'm gonna talk to now at school
But I know I'm laughing
On the car ride home with you
Don't know how long it's gonna take to feel okay
But I know I had the best day with you today

I have an excellent father
His strength is making me stronger
God smiles on my beautiful mother
Inside and out she's better than I am
I grew up in a pretty house
And I had space to run and
I had the best days with you

There is a video I found
From back when I was three
You set up a paint set in the kitchen
And you're talking to me

It's the age of princesses and pirate ships
And the seven dwarfs
And Daddy's smart
And you're the prettiest lady in the whole wide world

And now I know why the all the trees change in the fall
I know you were on my side
Even when I was wrong
And I love you for giving me your eyes
Staying back and watching me shine and
I didn't know if you knew

So I'm taking this chance to say
That I had the best day with you today"

I strum the last chord and smile whilst the sound of applause fills the auditorium. Quite a few people stand up clapping, including my mom and dad. My mom had been sobbing tears of joy throughout my performance, whilst my dad filmed me on his phone.

"What a performance from Y/n Swift!" The presenter said. I bowed down, waved, and then walked off the stage.

About 20 minutes later, it was time for the award ceremony. All the contestants sat on stage, facing the audience.

"Wow, we have had an outstanding show today folks, haven't we? All of our contestants have an immense amount of talent, but there can only be one winner. We will announce 3rd, 2nd and obviously 1st." The presenter announces.

They bring out the trophy trolley. "Wow" I think to myself. The trophies look so beautiful, all of them.

"In 3rd place we have Henry Johnson who performed a drum cover of The Beatles song, Come Together." The audience cheered as he went up to accept his trophy. "Shit, he was really good" I thought.

"In second place we have Stefania Baran who performed Lovely by Billie Eilish on the piano" More people cheered as she went up to get her trophy.

I frowned a bit as I believed I couldn't place. "There's no chance I beat her" I thought to myself. Nevertheless, I still applauded her.

"Now, Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the 2023 Annual State Music Competition winner goes to..." there was a suspense for only a few seconds, but it felt like ages. "Y/n Swift who performed her original song The Best Day on the guitar!"

"Yes! Yes! Yes!" I thought to myself as I quickly jumped up and got my trophy. It was a large, gold treble clef. I stood with an enormous smile on my face.

Looking out to the audience, I saw my mom crying again, and my dad smiling so wide whilst taking pictures. It was such a surreal moment.

After the show, I left the auditorium to see my mom and dad waiting for me outside of the dressing room. I ran up to my mom and leaped into a hug. She held on tight and started crying again.

"Y/n my sweet baby, I love you so so so much! That song really means the world to me. It is the best thing I have ever heard in my life, and most definitely the best gift I've ever received. I'm so proud of you baby, you know that? So proud of you!" She embraced in a loving hug.

"I love you too mom!" I said back.

A:N:
hope y'all enjoyed that! if you have any requests please tell me in the comments. remember to stream taylor>>>

luv ya <3333