left out (part one)

idea / requested by sjofidkgk

age: 16
setting: rhode island

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The bell rang through the hallways, which meant it was the end of the school day. I had just gotten my end of year grades back, and I was so proud of myself, straight A's!

I packed up my things in the classroom and walked out of the school towards my mom's car. I wore a big smile from the excitement of telling my mom my grades.

I opened the door and saw my mum smiling at me softly.

"Hey Y/n! How was school?" She asked as I sat down on the front passenger seat.

"It was grea-" I started, but was interrupted by a loud cry from the backseat. Indi and Theo were sat in the backseats. Theo was crying whilst Indi looked angry.

"What happened?" Mom said in a stern voice, turning to face the three year olds.

"S-She hit me!" Theo cried, using his left hand to rub his eyes whilst his right arm pointed at his sister.

Mom gave Indi an annoyed look. "What was that for Indi?"

"He was breathing heavily!" She argued defensively.

"That's not a reason to hit your brother, or anyone for that matter! Apologize to Theo." Mom scolded her.

Indi huffed and turned to her brother. "I'm sorry Theo." She said plainly.

"She doesn't mean it, Mom." Theo butted in.

"What for?" My mom made her continue, completely ignoring what Theo said.

She huffed again. "I'm sorry for hitting you Theo."

"Ok, see, it wasn't that hard," Mom said with a sigh of relief, then turned back around and started driving the car out from the car park. "Now Hun, what were you saying?" She asked me.

"I was just going to say-" I started, but was interrupted again.

"I swear, Indigo, if you don't stop sulking this instant then you will have an issue." Mom warned looking into the rear view mirror.

"It's not my fault!" Indi argued back and rolled her eyes.

"Indigo Andrea Swift you will not roll your eyes at me." Mom was starting to get angry, and this little argument between them carried on for the rest of the ride home.

It ended with Theo crying again, Indi throwing a tantrum, and my mom trying to hold in her angered emotions. Me, I just sat there in silence the whole time.

Once we got through the gates and back home, I went straight up to my room. Honestly, who knew four year olds had that much temper?

When I got to my room, I closed the door and decided to watch some of The Office on my IPad. I used to always watch tv straight after school with mom, but since the twins are older, she hangs out with them more.

It's not like I'm jealous or anything, they're twelve years younger than me, but sometimes I just miss how much time Mom spent with me rather than the twins.

An hour or two later, I got bored and decided to go downstairs to talk to my Mom.

I walked into the kitchen to see my mom leaning on the island counter and chopping an onion.

"Would you like any help?" I asked, knowing that she was probably feeling pretty drained after her day, and she deserved a break for a bit.

She looked up at me and gave me a smile "Oh, yeah, would you finish cutting this onion for me? And the rest of these vegetables."