Chapter 17: Old Combacks

No One's POV:

"Tabbi, are you sure that you're okay?" Cole asks his happy wife. "You just got back from the hospital. Not to mention that the girls just finished using the Rejuvenation Spell on you. Are you sure you want to go out partying tonight?" The worried husband attempts to tighten the Queen's corset. "We can cancel the gala if you want."

"Cole, honey, calm down! I'm perfectly fine." Tabitha laughs gingerly at her lover's anxiety, placing her crown on top her head. "The baby's perfectly healthy now and- ooh that's tight- we have plenty of protection now." She admits with a gasp of breath.

From the bedside, Lee, swinging her feet, was waiting for them to finish getting ready. "Yeah, relax big guy we got this!" She exclaims, hopping off the bed. "Everything seems to be running smoothly. And hey, even the Council isn't here to bother you guys tonight! How does that sound?"

Tabitha and Cole just shrug their shoulders at the Council's quick departure. It wasn't surprising but it was strange. Usually Priscilla would let them know before hand if they weren't able to attend any grand activity of the kingdom. But this time they just suddenly left without a word, or anyone to ask of their whereabouts.

"Lee go out and enjoy yourself." Tabitha tells the young elf. "Why don't you go downstairs to the ballroom?" Cole had finished tying her corset and she was now working on his corset vest. "Go and have some fun."

Lee hesitates.

"Are you sure you want me to make the announcements?" She asks the Queen with another hesitant expression. They twiddled their fingers around each other as they waited for a response. "What if I mess up?"

Tabitha, taking a small breath, pats Cole's back to let him know that she was finished. "Lee, you're going to do great. Since Varian isn't here to do them and everyone else is going to be enjoying themselves, I need someone that I can trust to announce our attendance. If you're uncomfortable or unsure of what to say then we'll help you." She walks over to the short girl, smiling sweetly to show her earnest affection to her newest friend. "And right now, there's no one else I trust more than my family then you, right now. The world may be falling apart but that doesn't mean we can't find a solution together."

With this bit of hope that Tabitha gave to Lee, it filled her with confidence to perform the duties she was given. Lee nods her head before skipping away to the ball room right as Walter was making his way inside. Along him were Pikka and Cubo who were wearing their own formal attires, given to them by the prince and princesses.

"Hello, Walter. Kids." Cole greets his friend in a formal matter, placing his crown on top of his head to finish his outfit. "How are you doing?"

Walter shrugs his shoulders, not really knowing what to say. "Nervous?" He says with another shrug. "I've never been to a party before, well, a gala in this case." Looking over to his kids then to the two rulers, he sheepishly smiles. "I'll see you guys out there?"

Tabitha smiles softly at her new companion. "We'll see you later." She says. "Tell Phillippio that they'll look great in any outfit. I saw them stressing out about what to wear earlier, and want them to feel relaxed when at the gala." The Queen tells Walter who just nods his head before leaving the room, waving his kids over to follow him.

Right as they left the room was silent once more. Tabitha leisurely made her way over to the tall mirror by the door, looking at her reflection in what looked like... disappointment. She carefully rubs her belly for comfort with one hand while the other stroked her naturally long, brunette locks. Cole appears to notice his wife's displeasure and asks her if she was okay.

The Queen stays quiet for a moment prior to speaking up.

"I don't feel like myself. I feel like..." Tabitha hesitates, "I don't like who I am anymore." She admits with a heavy exhale. "What happened to me?"