° chapter four

you should keep your distance, i'm only telling you because i care

[September 2021]

"Dohee."

Peering over her shoulder she found her friend a couple of steps behind, teeth chattering as she stood in the cold. Dohee spun around on her heels to face her knowing they weren't going to move for a while, hands shoved into her pockets, digging deeper to protect them from the frosty air.

"Sora." She spoke out, voice gentle, breath turning to mist.

"It's cold." She huffed out, arms crossed together, "It's so fucking cold."

Dohee nodded slowly in agreement, it was the middle of September so it wasn't exactly expected for it to be this cold but given the stormy weather recently, it wasn't far fetched for it to be this cold.

"I know, Sora."

Sora huffed some more, stomping towards Dohee, pausing once more as she saw the bus pass by them.

"We could've taken the bus!" She exclaimed, arms very wildly pointing at the bus.

Dohee laughed a little, eyes shifting to the bus, "We could've."

"Damn right we could've!" She started walking again, falling into step beside her best friend, "Instead, I listened to you. What did you say, 'It's only a 35 minute walk Sora, by the time we walk a few minutes, we won't even feel the cold'."

"What happened to saying 'no' Sora? 'No is a full sentence Dohee'," she mocked, the same teasing mirroring in the way she spoke her words.

"You're unbelievable." Sora's eyes narrowed at her as they walked side by side.

"Thanks babe." Dohee replied, lips pulling up into an over-exaggerated side smirk, the latter throwing her head back in laughter, her annoyance short lived. 

"I'm still cold."

"I know."

"Can you at least pretend to care?"

"I do care," dragging her words out a bit, faking emotion. Sora's face scrunched in disapproval.

"Good lord Kyutie, we need to work on this."

Both girls went silent, the comfortable kind, feet dragging one behind the other occasionally splashing into the small puddles that dotted the pavement as a result of the rain that poured through the night. Dohee had always appreciated that about Sora, she wasn't a talker by nature, often finding herself shying away from conversation. She enjoyed silence and was more than glad that she didn't have to constantly shove a forced reply into the conversation to remain relevant. Whilst Dohee's eyes following the houses that lined the street, judging the colours of the doors and stylistic choices, Sora's attention had shifted across the road, where she caught sight of a couple, arms linked and wide smiles as they spoke to each other.