° chapter nineteen

They all say that it gets better, it gets better the more you grow
Yeah, they all say that it gets better, it gets better, but what if I don't?

When people are born, they enter the world with caution tape around them - 'fragile, handle with care', it will say and despite the instructions, after a few short years, life will expose the monsters it kept from them

When people are born, they enter the world with caution tape around them - 'fragile, handle with care', it will say and despite the instructions, after a few short years, life will expose the monsters it kept from them. Nobody was an exception to that rule.
Not Dohee.
Not Donghyuck.

Both had spent a long time fighting monsters they never wanted to and they were taught about their many forms from very early on. Monsters didn't lurk under the bed at night, they slept beside them and traced lines onto their back at the age of five. It was the words that berated them, it was the voice they heard in their minds when questioning their worth. It was the silence and the dark of sleepless night, it was being around people yet still feeling lonely, sat at a table but not heard. It was so much more than that.

Monsters lived among them but worst of all, they lived within them. In their minds and bodies but it was all they knew. The nagging voice in the back of their mind that taught them that loving was scary and to be loved was scarier. They weren't the most underprivileged children in the world, they knew that themselves, growing up with enough to know their families were safe, a roof over their heads, food in their bodies. However, they weren't taught that there was a beauty in love and a gentle in affection.
For one, it was taken away far too quickly and one just didn't know.

They were both very similar people.
Very different but somehow similar.
Their similarities may just be the cause of their downfall.

Their lives were very obviously not the pretty lives they imagined for themselves as children, pretty far from it and neither of them could have imagined for all of it to go so wrong. They couldn't run and they couldn't leave it behind.
They didn't want to.

So for now, it was a constant battle, an active decision they made, to wake up each day and fight the same demons again and again, holding onto the very thin thread of hope that lingered within them that one day, everything will be okay.
And even if it wasn't, they will fight till the very end, till it was okay to give up.
Till it was okay to take a rest.

Until then, it was survival and they were both willing to go miles to ensure nothing was getting in the way of that.

chapter nineteen - survive my own mind

the end <3thank you so much to everyone who read!

the end <3
thank you so much to everyone who read!

i'm joking, you knew i was joking
so realistically this could've posed as the ending, they are dead set on not wanting to have anything to do with each other but this is a fictional piece of work and we are all trying to escape reality so..

also, i'm gonna make like the gilmore girls production team and name each chapter after things that relate to or have been said in the chapter

anyways till next time, i'm excited for the next chapter lowkey