° chapter fourteen

I'm in the palm of your hands, watch me dance just for you

[03:36]

A brick straight to the head.

That's all he wanted - to launch a brick straight to his head. The day had gone so annoyingly terrible. He had locked himself in his room the second he got back from school avoiding anyone and everyone, only leaving it for the first time a couple minutes ago to grab a hot chocolate from the kitchen. His phone remained untouched in the pocket of his blazer. His mother had dropped by his door a few times during the day, knocking in an effort to bring him out of his misery only to receive silence in return and if he was slightly less bothered by it all, she got a quiet hum of acknowledgement instead. He couldn't quite look his parents in the eye knowing they had received the report too, knowing his grades had disappointment them and even worse, embarrassed them. It felt like the equivalent of twisting the knife that was already buried deep inside of him.

His friends had dropped by. He hadn't gone out to see them, he had felt terrible about that too. He knew they'd understand though. It was now more than ever that he felt so so grateful to have their presence in his life. There was about half an hour in the day, before his dad arrived, where the laughter and gleeful screaming from downstairs had faintly transcended through the soundproof walls of the rooms upstairs. They bought a lightness to the house whenever they dropped by - a touch of happy, a touch of colour. The boys had clearly had a good thing going with Minjun too, evident in the way he was shrieking and giggling. It warmed his heart. A smile pulled at his lips. It tempted him to bring his brothers into his arms, squish in between two of the boys despite the fact that there was plenty of space elsewhere and watch without a word whilst his mother laughed along. It tore him apart all the same. A dull, lingering ache in his chest. He didn't deserve this, the kindness, these people. He didn't them and he definitely didn't deserve to watch them at their happiest. Especially where the strings played right into his hands, one move wrong would have cost every smile in that room. Had he left his room to go downstairs, he wouldn't have uttered a word. He wouldn't have looked anyone in the eye. The boys would have been cautious, his mother wouldn't even be in the room. Conversations would have tapered off, running dry. The boys had gotten amazingly good at reading signs and toeing the line, Minjun however, being the child he is of course, hadn't quite grasped the idea of pushing buttons. As horrible as it was for him to ignore his younger brother, he couldn't have imagined what it would've been like if he had snapped at him instead. He wouldn't be able to live with that. Not that he was doing to well at that right now.

The boys had apparently walked up to his door a few times during their short stay - he hadn't heard any of it though, they hadn't tried to pull him out. Instead, he came out to find neat stacks of snacks and drinks, some with a few notes stuck on them. He pulled them into the room with him when he came back from his trip to the kitchen, eyes glancing over the words.

'don't stay in there too long, make sure you get some air'
'we're coming back tomorrow morning'
'grab a snack'
'make sure you drink something'
'you did well Donghyuck-ah, it's going to be okay'