° chapter nine

maybe you and i have history but i don't think you know me

Arôme Coffeehouse.

The café was run by Mark's older brother, Taeyong and had been open for about two years now. It only recently became the designated study spot for the group of boys - they had spent a lot of the end of their summer there and now that the weather was much colder, the drinks and coziness was just perfect for them after their long days at school. The boys had grown close to Taeyong over the last couple of years, it had started with light conversations with him whenever they were over at Mark's and over the years grew to going out together and occasionally free drinks and pastries.

Occasionally.

The boys had really thought they would get free food (Mark had convinced them) which was really the only reason they had started coming to the café at the beginning of the year but Taeyong had made it very clear that was not really going to happen. In his words, 'I love you guys but I love my money even more'.

No one could argue with that.

It was almost half past four and Donghyuck was reaching the last few questions of his maths workbook. He had arrived at the café only a few minutes earlier than the rest of the boys. His tutor meeting had finished before the bell and the stares and the whispers were harder to endure than he had expected to. He learnt that whilst waiting for the boys near the entrance to the hallway, his body reacted before his mind could. The second he saw a few boys in his year walk towards him, his back leapt off the wall and he was speeding in the opposite direction, not ever stopping to pause or look around until it had reached the coffeehouse.

Once the others had arrived, they didn't bother disturbing their friend who had his head down staring at a book. They ordered drinks for themselves and sat around him as quietly as possible, eventually pulling out their own work. Except Jisung and Chenle, they just sat there giggling non-stop at memes they showed each other or kept pulling stupid shit on one another. Ocassionally breaking out from the conversation to annoy Renjun and Jaemin who were sat near them.

Once Donghyuck had finished his questions, he closed the book, shoving it back into his bag. His eyes had taken a swift look around the table.

"Where's Jeno?"

"He has some other work," Chenle answered, looking up from his phone, "Do you have more to do?"

"Yeah, I have a topic test for Biology tomorrow."

Chenle nodded, clearly bored by the answer before returning his attention back to his phone. Donghyuck shook his head with a slight smile at the reaction.

It had fallen silent on the table again - Donghyuck took the time to look around the café. People watching - a habit he had subconciously become very attached too. It was interesting at the café, no conversation was the same, no gossip was the same, no person was the same, it was basically full of surprises. His eyes travelled over the different tables, watching as the couples engaged in small talk and their touches lingered on one another, gentle and soft. The friendships groups from the younger years sat around the smaller tables, drinks in hand, throwing their heads back in laughter whenever something funny happened on the table. A group in the corner had a mix of even younger girls and boys, gasping and squealing in silence at whatever tea was being spilled. The queue had gotten a bit longer since he arrived, it was half four after all, it had been more than enough time for the students of the schools and universities nearby to make their way to the café. It was all very calm and orderly, like everything was happening at the right time at the right place.