° chapter ten

i bury baggage 'til it's out of sight, i think it's better if i hide it, i really hope 
that i survive this

i bury baggage 'til it's out of sight, i think it's better if i hide it, i really hope that i survive this

[21:46]

Dohee stepped in past the open door, switching the lights to the entrance on, sighing in bliss when the warmer air of her house had grazed against her skin. Walking almost half an hour in the frosty winter air was no easy task. Slipping her shoes off, her body tilted sideways into the hallway, peering into the kitchen, surprised to see the lights were switched on. She almost called out into the corridor, words rolling off into silence. She slid her phone out of her back pocket in a hurry to see a few unread messages from Sora.

kang sora <3

GIRL

BABES you kind of need to reply now we have a problem

Houston

Okay im sorry

Your mum came back early and your dad knows you went to the cafe

[20:12]

So I kind of got sent home

More like kicked out LOL

But yeah okay let me know once you get home

Stay safe and GET THE BUS

It's dark

Please

[20:49]

I'm homeee

Lmk when you get back

[21:07]

Well, shit.

That obviously meant her parents had gotten back from work far earlier than expected and were waiting for her in the kitchen. It was awfully quiet for the girls to be awake. If Sora had still been there, they would have ran to greet her at the door.

oh well, whatever happens, at least the girls are asleep

Her parents weren't exactly fond of her working at the cafe, well her dad specifically. During her sophomore year, she would work late into the evening and have to travel alone - of course, it could be worse but her dad was never going to buy that. Also, it was a characteristic of the poor citizens of this city to act as if they have more money than they do. Understandably so, being openly poor here was literally asking to be bullied. Rich people had connections, their kids were scoring part-time work at universities, hospitals, clinics and well, everything else was left over to those who couldn't make it that far. A classic rich get richer, poor stay poor situation. Adults specifically would talk if they found out she was a barista. It sounded worse than working at a superstore. That wasn't the reason she quit her job though, her parents had started working awkward hours half way late into her sophomore year so someone had to pick up the responsibilities they were forced to drop. That someone happened to be her.