° chapter eighteen

hard to sleep, could it be only me, only me

[03:24]

Dohee had been in bed for a few hours now, changing position every half hour or so, trying to get some sleep.

any minute now 

She found herself like this most nights, tossing and turning for so long before she slept a few short hours. She had clearly exercised the insomniac gene she inherited from her dad, or her mum, a little too hard. Regardless, her schedule was once disrupted in junior high and hasn't been the same since. It was well over three by now, she knew for sure. 

Tonight was somewhat different though.
It was very rare for her sleepless nights to feel this way. She was too hot, bothered under the sheets but she knew the second the covers came off she would freeze, instead opting to remove her hoodie and lie in a thin but long sleeved top despite the fact that it was nearing the end of October. She was almost sweaty, her top stuck to her back and her hair stuck to her top and she could every strand trace down from the top of her head down to her lower back and it made her want crawl out of her own skin. She threw her hands up above the pillow and started to bunch her hair together, forming some sort of bun/ponytail hybrid at the top of her head. The pad of her finger traced against her wrist, expecting to ride over the bump of what should have been a hair tie. Of course, there was no hair tie, never when she needed it, never if it was her. Where were all the hair ties she stole from her sister? Or the one she got from café only a few weeks ago?

where did it all go? WHERE did it ALL go?

Her hands flew back down to her sides again, huffing and kicking in frustration.

this is really annoying

No amount of light movements or even big ones were enough to kill the lingering feeling of nausea that had followed her from Principal Choi's office instead staying there. It swirled around, rising up to her chest occasionally whilst lying down and sitting up once in a while wasn't helping the way she wanted it to. It just sat with her the entire day until it became her.

She was so tired of it all, the lack of sleep, the urge to gag every few minutes, the day, the events of the day, the people, everything. She was just so tired. A heaviness grew within her, an overwhelming, unexplained darkness that spread, blackening her insides and was slowly taking over. You see, anything in her mind she was able to deal with, no amount of thoughts, good or bad was a problem, she was able to brush it off and move on. The second her body felt the weight of her thoughts, whether it was the rapid pounding of her heart or the numbness that rot her insides, she would genuinely malfunction. It didn't happen very often, not often at all, she was good at removing herself from all things emotional, it being the way she dealt with everything growing up. It wasn't the best method but it worked and she was there, alive and well so it worked great.