° chapter seventeen

it's impossible to acclimate,
every time we talk, 
we understatehow I know we both could die, we both could die

"Can Lee Donghyuck of Grade 12, Student 460598, I repeat, 460598, please make his way to the Principal's Office now

"Can Lee Donghyuck of Grade 12, Student 460598, I repeat, 460598, please make his way to the Principal's Office now. Thank You."

Donghyuck's head snapped up from his work, attention directed solely at the speaker that was neatly fixed in the front corner of their classroom, very aware of the way every pair of eyes in the classroom was on him. He kind of stared, eyes shifting around to gauge any sort of reaction from the students around him. It was very obvious, no one knew why he was being called in, all as clueless as each other. The only person unbothered was Teacher Seo, who was at the front, writing notes on to the whiteboard. 

"Donghyuck. Get out quickly."

"Yes, Miss."

He was out in a second, grabbing his blazer from behind the chair and shutting his book before leaving in silence. There was a chill in the corridor, one that even his blazer could not kill, expected with October weather but honestly speaking, the cold must've felt more chilly because of his nerves.

He hadn't stepped into the Principal's office since the mocks and had actually been trying to actively avoid all of the senior leadership teachers. They were very involved with their students' lives, they won't hesitate to stop and ask what happened and how such things made them feel. Though he looked as though he was walking leisurely, hands in pocket, hair parted neatly and his glasses resting on his nose, goosebumps rose on his skin and his heart was thumping, loud and hard. He didn't have a single clue what this was about, he had even ruled out the possibility of it being about his ruined exams, he had reached an understanding that he was just going to have deal with the dropped average and work that much harder afterwards. There was a repeating pattern of being terribly frightened of the unknown. He didn't know what he was being called for and it was honestly rattling him more than he let on. 

_
"Donghyuck-ah! Welcome back!"

Dohee watched as the principal got out of his seat to greet him. She didn't dare look towards him, only occasionally stealing glances of his shoes as he made his way over.

"Take a seat Donghyuck."

"No, I'm alright with standing."

"I insist, take a seat Donghyuck."

Donghyuck obliged and as just as he was sitting down he actually took in the fact that there was a presence in the seat beside him. Their eyes locked on each other, hers staring into his, his staring into hers, both relaying different messages. Her brown was empty, unbothered, and his held the wavering feelings of uncertainty.
what the fuck is she doing here?
His movements were very slow, tucking his seat closer to the desk. There was a good amount of distance between the two and Donghyuck was flicking glances over at her more often that he had intended or cared to. She had lost count on how many times she had felt his eyes on her in the last two minutes. It made her nervous, he made her nervous and not in the lovely, butterflies in the tummy kind of way but the same way she was nervous before giving a presentation or cooking for her parents. That's not to say he wasn't nervous too. It was heart pounding loud until his eyes set on her, then the world went sort of quiet, his heart had dropped into the folds of the large pit in his stomach, unsettled and uneasy. Nausea hadn't been the dominating feeling here until the weight of the situation really settled in. He didn't know what this was about, looking in her direction to see if he could scout out any answers.