𝐇𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐲...

Setting his elbow on his desk, Steve rested his chin in the palm of his hand. He barely paid attention to Mrs. Jones's lecture about The Scarlet Letter. The young omega stared absentmindedly into space (as he usually does) when he had language arts. He did read the assigned reading last night, but he'd be lying if he said he understood what the hell was going on in the novel. English and writing were never his strong suits—he'd probably need Nancy's help with that.

He hated having substandard grades, but with everything that happened last year, he couldn't really bring himself to focus on academics. But he definitely needed to make sure he graduated next year—the last thing he needed was his parents breathing down his neck or giving him another lecture about his lacking school performance. Or another lecture about how much of a useless omega he was and that he'd never amount to anything. Steve copied Mrs. Jones's written lesson on the board into his notebook when he stopped.

Why did it feel like he was being watched? The brunette glanced at a couple of his classmates but they were all busy following along to Mrs. Jones's lecture or jogging down notes. Seriously. Who the hell was watching him? Steve peeked over his shoulder and his soft-doe eyes immediately landed on Billy. The blonde alpha relaxed back in his seat at the back of the class, his stormy blue gaze fixed on Steve. Oh. So it was Billy.

It was just like yesterday when Billy kept staring at him from across the parking lot. A small, arrogant smirk graced Billy's lips when he peered at Steve as if he was the only person in the room. As if he was prey. That made an involuntary shudder run down his spine. Why the hell was he looking at him like that? Just like yesterday, Steve held the alpha's attentive gaze. It was nearly impossible not to notice Billy's strong alpha scent lingering in the air—it was still intoxicating and it made Steve feel lightheaded.

A bright flush stained his cheeks when Billy deliberately ran his tongue over his sharpened canines. Holy shit. Why did that suddenly make Steve feel some type of way? It was kind of hot. The way Billy was looking at him as if Steve was going to be his next meal—it was definitely doing something and—wait, no. What the hell was wrong with him? He couldn't be having these thoughts. He was with Nancy. He loved Nancy. She was his mate. And it's Billy fucking Hargrove. The complete asshole of Hawkins High.

All he had to do was remember the way Billy humiliated him yesterday. Steve narrowed his eyes in response to the smug alpha. Damn him. It's like he knows the effect he has on Steve. But Steve wasn't going to fall for it. Nope. There was no way in hell he was going to fall prey to Billy's charms. The alpha could kiss his ass. "Alright, everyone I want you all to pick a partner and read chapter three. Just read as much as you can, you don't have to rush to finish the chapter. Whatever you guys don't finish will be considered homework. Okay?" Mrs. Jones's voice caused Steve to snap back to reality when he focused his attention back on her.

The class spoke in hushed whispers as everyone picked who they wanted as their reading partner. Steve turned a bit in his seat to look at some of his classmates but it seemed like they already had a partner chosen. Well, this sucked. Who was going to be his partner? He didn't really want to read by himself. "Steve? Have you found a reading partner yet?" Mrs. Jones walked over to his desk with a small smile.

"Oh, no, not yet, Mrs. Jones."

"Hmm, well, it doesn't look like Billy has one either. Why don't you pair with him? I'm sure he'd appreciate it, yes?" She couldn't be serious. This had to be a joke. There was no way he was going to be Billy's partner. There was no way!

Welp. Here he was. Sitting at a desk right next to Billy's since they had to push their desks together. Steve's trembling hands gripped the sides of his book as he narrowed his eyes at the words in front of him. God, he had the worst luck. Billy was still leaning back against his seat while holding his book with his right hand and his left arm casually draped over the back of Steve's chair. There was a moment of tense silence between the two as none of them spoke.