𝐋𝐞𝐭 𝐢𝐭 𝐛𝐮𝐫𝐧

This was such a terrible idea. How the hell did Steve get roped into something like this? Oh, wait. That's right. Besides being an amazing babysitter and mama bear, it was his duty to watch over the pups and protect them. And yet, here he is—getting ready with Billy and the kids to descend into the tunnel (or the "hive-mind" as Dustin called it) to burn it from the inside out and pray to God that no demodogs kill them.

This was so, so reckless and stupid—a million things could go wrong. But no. The kids insisted they needed to do this to stop the dogs and the mind-flayer once and for all to save Hawkins. And you know what sucks the most? Billy agreed with them. His alpha!Agreeing to this half-baked plan. Steve felt like he could rip his hair out. Of course, he wanted to stop the nefarious forces that plagued Hawkins. However, he didn't want to lose his life or the kids, or Billy while doing it. But they had no other options and burning the hive was the best bet.

Steve adjusted the bandana around his neck and placed the goggles at the top of his head. He put his backpack on with his nail bat sticking out of the pack. He turned to look at the kids, watching as they helped each other with their gear. "Okay, listen up." He clapped his hands to grab their attention. "All of you are gonna do as I say. And no one is splitting up. We stick together. You all stick to me and Billy like glue, got it?"

Dustin nodded, adjusting the goggles to his face. "Like glue!"

Steve nodded and placed his hands on his hips. "Like glue." He repeated. "Understand?" He turned to look at Billy who was casually leaning on the hood of his Camaro with his thumbs hooked in his belt loops. "The same applies to you too, Hargrove. I am not losing anyone today." Steve declared, giving his alpha a pointed stare.

Billy chuckled and raised his hands in defense. "As you wish, sweetheart."

────── 〔♡〕──────

Steve sweated beneath the red bandana covering his mouth and nose in order to avoid breathing in the spores that floated in the air. The tunnel system that the demodogs used was like a maze and it would have been very easy to get lost. The tunnels were dark and eerie—everything looked slimy and made Steve shudder and cringe in disgust. He wasn't sure what was worse—the Demogorgon or the demodogs. Both creatures were terrifying in their own way. Steve and Billy were at the front of the group with the kids behind them. With his heart pounding in his chest and thrumming through his veins, he noticed that the tunnel was empty. So far. But there were vines everywhere.

It was like playing hopscotch to avoid stepping on them. The last thing they needed to do was alert the entire hive of their presence. Billy gripped the axe tight in his hands, a black bandana over his mouth and nose. Even Billy seemed tense beside him as he slowly stepped over a pulsating vine. He held his hand out to Steve who accepted and stepped over as well. He turned and tucked his bat under his armpit to help the kids. Fearful that their whispers would signal any nearby dogs, no one spoke a word. Steve held his nail bat in his right hand and a gasoline can in the other.

All they had to do was be smart about this. Dustin stopped in his tracks as he stared up at the strange growth that pulsated and throbbed against the wall. Letting his curiosity get the better of him, the young pup leaned a little closer just as a cluster of spores sprayed in his face making him scream and flail his arms around. Steve froze and twirled around as he hurried back to Dustin. "Dustin! Did it get you? You didn't breathe it in, right?! Henderson, look at me!"

Dustin whimpered and coughed a few times as he looked at Steve. The young brunette sighed, his shoulders sagging in relief that Dustin had his goggles and mask on. "N-No, I'm okay, I'm okay. Jesus Christ!" He cleared his throat, giving his friends a thumbs-up to show he was okay.

Max rolled her eyes and gave him a look. "God, you are so stupid, you know that?"

Mike shook his head and lightly smacked Dustin's arm. "Jesus, Dustin. Are you trying to get us all killed?"

"Sorry! I didn't think that was going to happen!" Dustin shot back.

Steve felt like he could smack him in the back of the head. "What the hell did you think would happen?" Steve shook his head with a roll of his eyes. As he's stated several times—these kids were gonna be the death of him.

Billy cleared his throat and turned to look at them all. "Are you all done bitchin'? Let's go."

As the group carried on and made their way to the hub, they all began dousing the entire area with gasoline. Tossing the empty canisters aside, Billy pulled out his lighter and discarded it on the ground, watching as flames quickly spread and engulfed the hub. "Let's get the hell outta here." The group quickly ran back the way they came as the hub burned behind them. The sounds of the demodogs howling and screeching echoed all around them—it was time to haul ass out of here.

Steve gasped and froze as a single dog blocked the path. It growled lowly and snarled, slowly letting its petal-shaped mouth peel open to reveal its tiny, sharp teeth. The omega gripped the handle of his bat with both hands. They were going to get out of here. There was no way he was going to let one dog stop them from escaping. Billy stood beside Steve and narrowed his eyes, holding his axe in his hands. "C'mon, you piece of shit." He muttered beneath his bandana.

"Wait, wait!" Dustin pushed between the two and slowly approached the dog. "He's not gonna hurt us. Right, Dart?" He lowered the bandana from his mouth and smiled.

"Dustin, what the hell are you doing?" Steve hissed and pulled his bandana down as well. "Get away from that thing."

Dustin shook his head, digging through his backpack for the Three Musketeers bar. "Steve. Stop. It's okay. It's Dart, he's friendly. Right, buddy? You're friendly, right? You remember me. It's me, Dustin." Dustin's lips curled into a gummy smile and slowly placed the chocolate bar on the ground. "We gotta get past you, okay?"

Steve's brows knit together and his lips parted slightly. He was beyond speechless. Billy furrowed a single brow as he and Steve exchanged glances. With Dart distracted by the chocolate bar, the group carefully shimmied past and toward the rope that extended from the open hole above. "C'mon, Max." Billy pulled his bandana down and lifted Max who climbed the rope first. Steve helped Mike, Lucas, and Dustin afterward.

"Steve! Billy! C'mon!" Lucas called from above and waved his hand, gesturing for them to hurry up.

"Up you go, omega." Billy hooked his axe to his backpack and laced his fingers together. Before Steve could make a move, his entire body froze at the sound of the demodogs screeching as a huge horde of them whipped around the corner. The horde was heading straight for them. Was this it? Was this the end? Was this how he and Billy were going to die? He must have smelled the same fear from Billy's scent. With one hand, Billy held onto the rope and the other was snaked around Steve's waist to hold him close.

Steve's back flushed against Billy's chest, his hand clasped on top of Billy's that was holding his waist. The young omega braced himself and squeezed his eyes shut. But nothing happened. Steve slowly cracked one eye open and gasped in surprise as all the demodogs sped past them. What the hell? It's like they were all running from something. It was probably because of the fire, right? It's like they didn't even care about the two boys.

Using that as their cue to escape, Billy quickly helped Steve climb the rope first and followed after. "Are you okay?!" Dustin asked, rushing over to Steve and Billy who were lying on the floor, laughing together.

Max furrowed her brows, confused as to why they were laughing. "What the hell is so funny?"

Steve sighed and slowly sat up. "Nothing, Max. We're fine." He gave the pups a small smile.