ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ₂₂!!!

A bit of a fast forward

"Who do you work for?!"

"I told you! Scoops! I work for Scoops Ahoy!"

"I don't believe you. Who do you work for?!"

"Goddamnit, I'm not a spy! I'm not a spy! I work in an ice cream shop! How many times do I have to repeat myself?!"

Steve groaned in pain as the ringing in his ears persisted. His entire face felt numb from how many times he'd been punched. He's taken a beating when he fought Jonathan, but this—this was 10 times worse. His bottom lip was bruised and he could taste the iron in his mouth from spitting out his own blood. His right eye felt like it was going to burst out of his skull and his left cheek was bruised as well. He looked like someone had used him as a punching bag—and he certainly felt like one.

This was possibly the worst day ever. How could he go from slinging ice cream to 6-year-olds to being interrogated by a bunch of psycho Russians? It certainly didn't help that he, Robin, Erica, and Dustin started sticking their noses in places they didn't belong. But the young kid was adamant that there really were Russians based under Starcourt. And to Steve's surprise, Dustin was right. He thought that the "secret" Russian communication was all bullshit. And now here they were, entangled in this web of danger, and finding themselves captured by the enemy.

Thankfully, Erica and Dustin were able to get away, but the same couldn't be said for Steve and Robin. Steve had insisted that the two pups leave while they still can—he would always protect his pups whenever he could. It was the "motherly" omega instincts in him to protect and cherish the pups. Even if it was at the cost of his own life. One of the Russians, who Steve assumed was the general, snickered and grabbed a fistful of Steve's hair. The young brunette whined as he felt his head forced back.

The Russian general snickered as he said something in his mother tongue, his eyes examining the damage done to Steve's face. A part of Steve wondered where Billy was. Would he come and magically save Steve as he did when Tommy and his friends tried to take advantage of him? Did he even know where Steve was? Could Billy sense that something wasn't right? He would be able to sense Steve's distress, right? They have a strong bond. But lately, ever since the "incident" at Max and Billy's place, he and his mate haven't spoken in a few days.

Steve figured he should give Billy some space and Billy never apologized for lashing out. Plus, Steve has tried to stay focused on work and on the fact that the Russians had a base beneath Starcourt. So he's been a little preoccupied. The questions continued as they probed for any information about Hawkins Lab and the experiments that were once conducted there. And Steve gave them the same answer: I don't know what you're talking about. I just work at Scoops for the summer.

But no matter how many times he repeats himself, it's like his words have no meaning. He wasn't sure how much longer he could do this. The Russian general clicked his tongue and nodded his head at one of the guards.

"I-I told you! I told you! I don't know anything, I swear! I'm innocent—" Everything went black when he was punched in the face one last time.

────── 〔♡〕──────

"Steve! Steve?! What have you done to him?!" Whose voice was that? And why did it sound so distorted? Was it Robin? "You monsters! Steve! Wake up, please!"

The young omega let out a feeble groan as he opened his one good eye. His vision blurred for a bit. God, everything hurt. He felt like shit. "R-Robin..." He rasped as he shifted on the stool. Great. From one torture room to the other.

Robin struggled in her bindings as she looked over her shoulder at the omega. "I know this is probably a stupid thing to ask, but...are you okay?"

"Mm...no...not really...my eye feels like it's gonna burst outta my skull..." Steve whimpered and tilted his head back. "God, I can't believe Dustin was right...are we even gonna make it, Robin? I just..." Steve hung his head as tears stung his eye. "I-I can't lose the baby, Robin...I-I can't...this baby..." Steve shook his head. "It means everything to me...and Billy...means everything to me..." Hot tears slid down Steve's bloody face at the prospect of losing his mate and his pup.

Would they even make it out alive? Would this place become their grave? Is this how it ends? Is this where Steve is going to die? By the hands of some psychotic assholes? He's faced the Demogorgon and the demo dogs, but somehow this situation felt worse. "Hey, don't talk like that, Steve. We're going to make it out, okay? We are not going to die down here. Okay?"

Steve appreciated that Robin was trying to reassure him, but it didn't ease his nerves. "Y'know...I always saw you around school, but...I never paid any attention. I wish I did...I think...I think we would have been really good friends." A small, sad smile graced Steve's busted lip.

Robin chuckled sadly behind him. "Well, better late than never, right? Honestly, working with you...has been a lot of fun. You're funny and you always care about your...children. You're...you already are a good friend, Steve. And...you're going to be a great mother, I know it. Your pup...is gonna have such an amazing mama."

Steve's throat felt like it was constricting as he let out a strangled sob from Robin's words. No one has ever spoken to him like this. Robin, the kids, and Billy were the only ones who had. Steve probably would have bawled his eyes out if their little moment of peace hadn't been interrupted by the Russians. "Time for round two, no?" The Russian general smiled as he approached the two tied-up teens. An older balding man with a pair of monocles and a white coat picked up a syringe.

"W-Whoa, whoa, what is that?!" Steve's eye widened as he attempted to scoot back. "Get that thing away from me, man! W-What is that?!"

"Oh, do not worry, boy. Just a little, harmless drug, yes?" The doctor smiled widely as he closed the distance with the syringe in hand.

"N-No! No! You can't! I'm pregnant! I'm pregnant!" Steve cried and for once, silence filled the room.

"Please don't!" Robin pleaded as she looked at the Russian general. "Don't hurt him! If you're going to hurt anyone, hurt me! B-But not the baby!"

Steve's bottom lip quivered as the needle was inches away from his face. "P-Please...please don't...I can't lose my baby..."

The general stared at Steve for a moment and nodded his head at the doctor. "Proceed."

Steve's screams echoed down the narrow corridor.