𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐮𝐬...

Steve's jaw tensed when he stared at his locker. His heart was still wounded by those vile words written on the pink and red Valentine's Day heart cutouts that decorated his locker. No one had bothered to clean up the mess, so now he had to do it himself. The omega brushed aside all the stares and whispers from his classmates when he tore the taped hearts off with a strangled whimper. He hated this school. He couldn't wait to graduate so he'd never have to see these people again. They could all go to hell.

Fighting back tears, Steve continued to rip the cutouts off his locker. He forced himself to ignore the two beta girls who kept giggling and whispering to one another. He forced himself to ignore the way some of the alpha guys were looking at him with smirks on their lips. He forced himself to ignore all the sneers and side-eye glances directed at him. How far he had fallen—from "king" of the school to "slut" of the school. He would forever be known as Steve 'the slut' Harrington.

And that fucking hurt—it hurt just as much as when he and Nancy broke up. She wasn't his alpha. Not anymore. She lost that right the minute she snapped his heart in two. Even though it's only been two days since the breakup, he had Billy now. He was mated to Billy. Billy was his alpha now. They belonged to each other—it was as simple as that. Steve was grateful that it was Billy that claimed him and not some other alpha prick. Steve knew his self-worth. He knew he wasn't an object or some kind of trophy. He was an omega—he was a living being with feelings and dreams.

He wasn't some piece of property. He was Steve. And he was more than grateful that Billy recognized that—that he didn't treat Steve like how some omegas are treated on a regular basis. To his surprise, Billy treated him like an equal and that made his entire being and his heart melt. It only made him that much more attracted to the alpha. The young omega let out a startled gasp when he felt a hand placed on his lower back. He didn't need to turn around to see who it was. It was easier to identify Billy's musky alpha scent now that they were mated.

"Omega," Billy whispered quietly in his ear. His tone was laced with concern. "Hey, stop." He moved to stand by Steve's side. He placed his other hand on Steve's arms to get him to stop. Steve sniffed, his soft chocolate eyes narrowing at his locker. His grip on the cutout hearts tightened in his hand. He wasn't done yet, he still had to get the rest of this shit off his locker.

"I-I'm not done," Steve quickly wiped a stray tear away with his free hand. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't stop his voice from breaking. His tone was quiet and weak. He couldn't run away from his problems forever. He'd have to face the music eventually.

"Bambi, stop." Billy kept the same tone as earlier. "I told the principal about this. He's gonna have a janitor clean this shit up. C'mon, let's get to class."

Steve let out a shaky exhale and ripped the cutouts into several pieces before tossing them in the nearby trash can. He appreciated it when Billy took his hand and gave it a firm but gentle squeeze. Just like yesterday, all eyes were on them. Isn't that something? The "new king" of Hawkins with the school's "slut"? How funny is that? Billy glared and growled at anyone who got in their way. The blonde alpha even popped his canines at other alphas who had the balls to rake their eyes at Steve. Despite his situation, it made Steve feel warm inside. It was comforting to know that Billy was willing to protect and defend him.

So far, Steve hasn't seen Nancy yet and he was kind of hoping that she wouldn't show up today or tomorrow or the day after that. He really didn't want to deal with her right now—especially after what she'd done. But that was wishful thinking because he knew that she'd probably want to talk. As lunch rolled around, Steve noticed that Billy was sticking to him like glue. Wherever Steve went, Billy followed close behind. If he had to use the restroom, Billy would wait outside until he was done. If he needed to go to his locker to get something, Billy would wait patiently beside him. To others, it might seem creepy and weird. But that wasn't the case for Steve. Honestly, he found it endearing.