𝐎𝐮𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐫𝐨𝐥...

gonna take a brake be back in a week or two! <3

This was probably not the most ideal situation to be in right now. How could Steve have been so careless and stupid? Yes, he was focused on helping Dustin handle this "dart" issue. And yes, he forgot about everything else. But he could have, at the very least, called his alpha or let him know he was okay and everything was fine. Hell, maybe it would have been smarter if Steve canceled their date—sure, Billy probably would have been upset about it. But then this entire situation wouldn't have happened. Right?

Billy wouldn't be standing here right now and Steve would have been able to focus on the matter at hand—the demo-dogs and the Upside Down. But no, Steve was careless and stupid—he never was the brightest tool in the shed—something that's already been established several times. So now here he is, trying and failing to get Billy to leave. And what makes this whole situation more problematic? His pups. They just had to let their curiosity take over and see what was going on. Steve felt like he was digging an even bigger hole for himself.

The worst part is that he didn't like lying to his alpha. In general, he hated lying. It never got him anywhere—even with his parents. He always ended up in trouble anyway because you could tell his lies were half-baked and were bullshit. So how in the world was he going to get out of this one now? Steve chewed on his bottom lip. Honestly, he was afraid to face his alpha. He didn't even need to see the look on Billy's face. He could practically smell the anger and disappointment radiating off him.

It made Steve's inner omega whine and whimper—once this was all over, he needed to make things right with his alpha again. "I-It's nothing! T-There's no one there!" Steve found himself lying (again, something he didn't like to do, but he didn't know what else to say).

"So, now you're lying to me, huh, omega?" Billy let out a humorless chuckle. Oh yeah. His alpha was pissed. Rightfully so.

"No, I'm not lying. Billy, please, you can't—" Steve shut his mouth when Billy raised his index finger at him.

The blonde alpha released a vexed exhale through his flared nose when he stepped closer to Steve, their faces inches apart. Billy's stormy blue eyes narrowed at him and his mouth set in a hard line. "I'm giving you one last chance, sweetheart. Stop lying and tell me what the hell is going on. Tell me the truth."

Steve swallowed the lump in his throat. God, he wanted to tell him the truth. He wanted to tell him everything that's happened this past week. It was on the tip of his tongue, but he couldn't. In the back of his mind, he told himself that it was better if Billy didn't get involved—it'd be safer this way. But for some reason, Steve felt like the "safe" option wasn't the right one. Billy nodded his head slowly as he stared at his omega—he got his answer.

Steve winced when he felt Billy shove his shoulder against his and storm past him toward the house. Steve just stood there and stared at the ground like an idiot—well, he certainly felt like one. What did he do? Did he just ruin everything? What was going to happen to their relationship after this? They weren't an official couple, but it felt like they were, especially after what they've been through together.

Tears brimmed Steve's eyes at the mere thought of Billy not wanting to be mates with him anymore. Was he going to go back to being that unmated omega that nobody wanted? But it was too late for that, wasn't it? Billy had already claimed him. But...what if he didn't want him anymore?

Steve felt like his heart could snap at the thought. He quickly wiped the flow of tears away and rushed after his alpha. "B-Billy—" He reached his hand out to grasp his sleeve but flinched when Billy yanked his arm away with a snarl.

The blonde stepped inside and looked at Max and the other pups. "Max. Let's go. We're leaving."

Max gulped and remained with the others. Her eyes darted between Steve and Billy—unsure of what to do or who to look at. "I-I don't...wanna leave..." She mumbled while avoiding Billy's intense gaze. Billy's eyebrows narrowed as the muscle in his jaw twitched. Steve could tell that Billy was losing patience just from his scent and his behavior. He saw firsthand what Billy's temper could do—he knew all too well how violent the alpha could become.

And he really didn't want to see that temper being used on his pups. Was it going to come to the point where he'd have to stand up against his alpha to defend the pups? If that did occur, then yes, Steve would protect them. "Maxine." Billy enunciated her name slowly in a warning tone. "Let's go."

Max shook her head as Dustin, Lucas, and Mike stepped in to protect her from her big, bad step-brother.

"Didn't you hear her?" Mike narrowed his eyes as he fearlessly stood up to the alpha. "She doesn't want to leave."

Oh no. An anxious knot formed in Steve's stomach. Alphas hated being challenged like this. It was in their nature to be dominant—to be in control. To make sure everything goes their way. Whatever Mike was doing was a big mistake—but he was still a child so he probably didn't know any better. Billy growled lowly in response as he popped his canines at the kids who quickly cowered back in surprise and fear.

"Billy." Steve moved to stand in front of his alpha and place his hands on his chest. Okay. He needed to calm Billy down before he did something he'd regret. "Billy, look at me."

Billy's nose flared and his lips pulled back in a snarl. His eyes were directly aimed at Wheeler. "What'd you say to me, you little shit? Huh? You wanna repeat that?"

Steve shook his head, bracing his hands against Billy's chest to make sure the alpha doesn't move closer to his little pups. "Billy, stop. He's just a kid, alright? He doesn't know any better."

Billy shoved easily shoved Steve aside with one hand as he closed in on the kids. "That's it. If I have to drag your ass out of this house then I will." Billy snatched Max's wrist and yanked her away.

Max cried out and struggled in Billy's strong grasp, trying to free herself. "N-No! Billy, stop! L-Let me go!"

"Stop it! You're hurting her!" Lucas grabbed Billy's wrist to help pry Max free.

Dustin rushed over to Steve, tugging on his sleeve jacket. "Steve! Do something, he's hurting Max!"

Steve didn't need to be told twice as he rushed back over. "Billy, let her go. Now." But no matter what Steve said or did—his alpha wouldn't listen. This entire situation was getting out of control. However, it all came crashing down when Dustin threw the fridge door open and the dead demo-dog collapsed to the floor with a blunt thud.

Silence filled the room as everyone's eyes landed on the creature. Billy turned his head and his eyes widened as his lips parted. Steve's heart dropped to his stomach when his soft chocolate eyes darted between Dustin and the dog. The look on Steve's face said it all: What the hell have you done?

"Omega." Billy looked at Steve now. "What the hell is that?"