1. Meeting the CEO

Please ensure to click on the YouTube video to have it play while you're reading. This serves as the audio version for the chapters, enhancing your reading experience with audio accompaniment. Thank you!

"Have you opened the letter?" Sophie asked, skipping through the channels with her feet up and crossed

"If you're wondering, I'm afraid I won't be accepted. Especially since the company is of the highest caliber. What if my credentials are insufficient?" I slouched on the couch, my gaze fixed on the envelope in my hands.

I could feel my heart pounding as I debated whether or not to open it. The weight of the decision was heavy on my mind, knowing that my future could be drastically altered depending on the contents of that letter. 

She rolled her eyes and said, "You're holding the goddamn letter in your hands; just open it already, Eleanor."

I tried to control my breathing as I briefly closed my eyes. My dog, Chipper, yanked the envelope from my grasp as I tried to open it.

I pursued him down the hallways, yelling, "Hey, don't you dare eat that."

Could this day get any worse?

"If you had just listened to me and opened the damn letter, Chipper would not have received it. Perhaps Chipper could open it for you and let you know if you were accepted," she yelled from the living room.

 I finally caught up to Chipper and retrieved the envelope, feeling a mix of frustration and amusement at the chaotic situation. As I tore it open, I couldn't help but wonder what life-changing news it might contain. 

How funny!

I cooed, stroking the top of his head, "Come here." I kindly removed the envelope from his grasp and said, "You're dead," to him. 

Not wasting any more time, I opened the letter and read the note.

CONGRATULATIONS! Eleanor Valdanger, your application has been accepted. Please stop by the building tomorrow for an interview. We'd love for you to start working right away. 

I screamed at the top of my lungs and dashed into the living room, grabbing Sophie's cheeks and kissing them.

"Can you believe it? I got the job!" I exclaimed, tears of joy streaming down my face. Sophie hugged me tightly, sharing in my excitement and pride. 

"Wait a minute, girl. You're getting wet on me, and it's nasty," she said as she drew her head back. 

"Working as a CEO's assistant? Seriously, this seems so surreal. Can you even begin to fathom how many people applied but weren't accepted?"