10. Misinterpretation

~ Don't Trust Everything You See, Even Salt Looks Like Sugar ~

At a local store, Tracy was working the night shift. She recently instructed me to pay her a visit because she was barely able to make ends meet. She was interacting with a young woman through the large glass, making small talk with her and attempting to mask the hurt in her eyes by suggesting a scarf to go with the young woman's simple black dress.

Consider this. You were fired for something you didn't do, and the other person doesn't even care that they did it. The fact that some people can be so deranged that they inflict harm on others while being completely unaware of their circumstances irritated me.

As I entered, I pushed the glass door open and smiled politely. Tracy gave me a small smile as she looked at me. I could see the anguish in her eyes. When she was done with her customer, she rubbed her hands on her hips and approached me, saying, "You came." "My shift ends around 5 p.m."

"What should I do now?"

"I'll get my belongings and return." "I'll be back," she said as she walked away, her hair bouncing on her shoulders. 

She returned with her handbag and a coat slung over her shoulder. "I needed to talk to someone," she said solemnly. "I'm not sure why you came to mind, but I think you're not one to pass judgment; just a gut feeling, you know?"

"You can always count on me." "How about we go for a walk and talk about it over ice cream?"

"As long as we get all the flavors together,"

"I'll cover the cost." "It's on me."

We went for a walk to a nearby ice cream truck, and the outdoor setting was ideal. The view was spectacular as the sun set, and there were a few benches around with pebbled stones and daisies, and the atmosphere was slightly chilly. I paid for our ice cream and sat across from each other on one of the benches. 

"I wish I could feel like this for the rest of my life," she said, taking a spoonful and savoring the taste.

"You must be going through a very difficult time," I said after a brief glance at her.