6. That Red Dress

~ Good Girls Do Bad Things Sometimes ~

I can't afford to lose my job. Come on, people. I knew I shouldn't be listening in, but who wouldn't? I'm not going to say anything. But what about being fired? I have only been here a month, and I'd lost it due to stupidity. No way. But he warned me not to interfere with his personal life. You can't blame him for firing me.

I took a swallow. I could smell his cologne and sniff him without getting tired of it. His voice was raspy as he spoke every word.

He continued, "I warned you about personal matters."

Fine. Guess I had to say what was on my mind.

"Fine. One good reason for not firing me. It's easy. The fact that what I'm about to say, is you're going to fire me anyway," here I go.

"This is a watershed moment. You've got your head so far up in your ass that you've stopped functioning to notice that you don't care about anyone. According to what I've heard about that Destiny girl, you did her dirty. Your parents should never decide who you should date, regardless of the person's background. Do you know what's the funniest thing? You don't go to different places when you die because you wear a suit and make millions. We all end up in the dirt. I'd probably let it slide if you were buried in the clouds when you died."

Did I just say that? Oh crap. I'm so fired.

He remained silent. I guess he was too stunned to speak. He stood up and circled my desk, now facing me. The prominent lines between his brows and the rigid cords in his neck were visible, but he remained emotionless.

"I will send you some surveys to review," he smirked. "It'll keep you busy," he said as he exited my office, and I sighed flatly.

Does this mean I'll keep my job?

I'm sure it took a lot of guts to say that. I knew what I was doing was wrong, but what is life without tea? I really hope that Destiny girl finds someone who can show her that she was one of a kind.

I finished tallying the results of the previous survey later that evening after reviewing the responses. I rolled up my shirt's sleeves and yawned, my hair sticking out from my head. Speaking over the intercom was Mr. Bezos. I assume he was making an announcement.

" Ladies and gentlemen, hello and good evening to everyone. As you may be aware, the 20th-anniversary party for the company will be held tomorrow at 6:30 PM. You'll all take the day off to get ready, visit the salon, spa, or shop wherever you want. Ladies, wear a sexy dress that is not so tight that it tears when you eat a lot from the buffet, and gentlemen, wear tuxedos or suits that the ladies prefer. It will be a night of pure joy, laughter, and good times. Mr. Bezos here, and please do not miss this event. click.