3. Throwback on a B*tch

Outfit for the day of being a CEO's Assistant

I did not have a car. Mr. Bezos sent a car to pick me up. As his assistant, I had to be completely immersed in his world at all times. By the way, I only had one day off, and it was on a Saturday. 

This morning, I made coffee. Nothing beats the taste of freshly brewed coffee. To begin, I am 22 years old and live alone. My parents come to visit every now and then, but I don't seem to mind. They were, after all, my parents.

I left the house, and a car was waiting outside my apartment door. I approached the man standing next to the car, who was expressionless. 

"Mr. Bezos sent you here," I asked, just to be sure.

"Yes, Mam," he opened the car door for me to get inside.

The trip was pleasant, and I liked how cozy the car was. But the entire time we were traveling, the driver said absolutely nothing.

He came to a stop in front of a sizable structure. Mr. Bezos was waiting outside while admiring the watch he was wearing. I approached the driver after the door was opened for me to exit, my lips curled tightly. 

"Hey, Mr. Bezos," I hesitantly said. It was shy-awkward that I meant. 

He turned his back and walked into the building, saying, "Now that you have come, we should get inside." I was following behind him and would serve as his walking companion forever.

As he drew near the elevator, we noticed how cramped it was once we were inside. My throat felt almost as though my breath were being held there. I was unable to breathe. As I prayed for the elevator to open soon so we could get out, I maintained my composure because it was the only thing I could do that wouldn't make me look bad. 

"Miss Valdanger, I don't bite. Because if I did, we wouldn't be in the same space together," he said, looking directly ahead. 

At least he broke the silence.

"I am simply acting professionally. I have nothing else to start a conversation with you about if it's not work-related." 

Did I just say that? Because the beating of my heart was racing.