30. Have to Let You Go

"Love is not about possession; it's about obsession

"Love is not about possession; it's about obsession. Love is wanting to own every part of her, breathe her air, and dominate her thoughts." - Unknown

.

In the dimly-lit alley, the flickering of a lone street lamp cast eerie shadows against the graffiti-covered walls. I stood over him, his form crumpled and bruised, blood trickling from his broken nose. My heart raced, blood coursing through my veins as I confronted him.

"Stay away from Eleanor or you'll have to answer to me," I warned, my voice low and controlling, laced with barely contained anger.

He winced, the fear evident in his eyes as he struggled to speak. I couldn't see his face clearly, my own hidden beneath the shadow of my hood. But I could sense his apprehension, his realization of the danger he was in.

Without another word, I turned on my heels then left.

As the sunlight streamed through the office window, casting a warm glow over the room, I sat behind my desk, trying to bury myself in the pages of a book. Each word blurred together as my thoughts wrestled with the decision I knew I had to make.

Then, like a sudden storm disrupting a calm sea, Athena entered the room. Her presence was visible, her arms crossed in front of her, a mixture of concern and frustration etched on her face.

"The wedding is just around the corner, and you're acting like it's any other day," she said, her voice tinged with worry.

I glanced up from my book, meeting her gaze with a practiced neutrality. "Not now, Athena," I replied, my tone firm but tinged with an undercurrent of guilt.

Athena narrowed her eyes, clearly not satisfied with my response. "Something's not right," she insisted, taking a step closer to my desk. "You've been distant lately, and I can't help but feel like there's something you're not telling me."

My heart raced as I struggled to maintain my composure. She was too perceptive for her own good, and I couldn't afford to let my emotions betray me now.

"It's nothing," I insisted, forcing a casual shrug. "Just work stuff. You know how it is."

But even as the words left my lips, I knew she could see through the lies. She always could.

Athena sighed, her frustration evident as she ran a hand through her hair. "I don't believe you," she said softly, her voice barely above a whisper. "But fine, if you're not ready to talk about it, I won't push."

Relief flooded through me, mingled with a pang of guilt at the thought of the secret I was keeping from her. But for now, it was enough. I watched as she turned to leave, her footsteps echoing in the quiet office.

As the door clicked shut behind her, I let out a breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding. The weight of my deception settled heavily on my shoulders, a constant reminder of the sacrifices I was willing to make to protect what mattered most to me.