29. Blair Never Gave Up

"To the world, I'm a CEO; to her, I'm just a man hopelessly tangled in her presence

"To the world, I'm a CEO; to her, I'm just a man hopelessly tangled in her presence."

.

The bathroom felt oddly quiet, the only sound being the gentle flow of water from the tap as I splashed my face, trying to wash away the stress that seemed to cling to me like a second skin. Blair's presence outside the door added an unexpected weight to the atmosphere, and when I finally emerged, his body leaning casually against the wall, I couldn't shake the tension coiling in my stomach.

His eyes met mine as I stepped out, and for a moment, the air between us crackled with unspoken words. "How long have you been here?" My voice came out hoarse, betraying the feeling swirling inside me.

"Not long," he replied, his hand retrieving a small towel from his pocket, offering it to me with a silent gesture. "You probably want to use this."

I accepted it with a small, grateful smile, the gesture a brief respite from the weight of my thoughts. "Thank you, I appreciate it," I murmured, fingers tightening around it.

An awkward silence settled over us like a heavy blanket, filling the space with visible tension. I busied myself with wiping my damp face, the rag rough against my skin as I tried to gather my thoughts.

"I wish we could talk things over, only if you want to," Blair's voice broke through the quiet, its softness contrasting with the gravity of his words.

I let out a sigh, feeling the exhaustion seep deeper into my bones. "I'm sorry, Blair," I admitted, my voice barely above a whisper. "I was in a really bad situation, and I didn't expect things to be this way, you know? Just bear with me."

"That fine, but I hate that you had to see me that way."

"I mean... it's okay," Blair's voice was gentle, his eyes searching mine for reassurance.

I nodded slowly, uncertainty gnawing at the edges of my thoughts. "Is it okay if I could stop by your place tonight and we talk? I promise, I will not overstep your boundaries," he pleaded, his sincerity evident in the earnestness of his gaze.

I hesitated for a moment, weighing his request against the turmoil swirling inside me. "I guess you can, but I am going to get my dog from my parents, so maybe after work you could probably drop me off, and we go from there."

A smile tugged at the corners of his lips, relief evident in the softness of his expression. "That sounds good."

Together, we walked down the hallway, the silence between us heavy with unspoken words. Desperate to dispel the tension, I spoke up. "How are you holding up differently?" I asked, hoping to fill the void with something other than the weight of our shared history.

His response was hesitant, his words weighed down by the memory of Greg. "Well, not too good since that kiss kept replaying in my head. It's not your fault, but he was definitely overstepping his place."