4. Doing Him A Favor

"At last," I exhaled

"At last," I exhaled. The amount of work had left my hands, back, and body all in pain. As it was time to leave, I was now off. But I recalled that Mr. Bezos had requested a meeting with me later.

Anything could happen. But I had finished my work for the day, and since I couldn't because of the Athena drama, I shouldn't have seen him after work. Perhaps it was nothing at all. Nothing ought to be there.

I gathered my things and made a beeline for the door. I went down to the elevator after locking the door to my office. Tracy was still seated nearby the computer just down. Once she realized I was there, she looked at me. 

Without saying anything to her, I walked by without saying anything.

"We may have gotten off to a bad start, but I'm not that bad of a person," she explained.

"The fact that you've been mean to someone you don't know, I just don't get it," I said, pausing in my tracks. "With such a beautiful face, your personality surely ruins it, no offense," I said as I turned around to face her. 

"You believe? I'm Tracy," she rolled her eyes and said. "You might or might not be aware of me."

"I do, of course. I'd better leave then," I left the building, telling Tracy, "You have a good night." Mr. Bezos was standing next to his car outside the building with his hands in his pockets.

Indeed, he was a sight.

"So," I approached him, not too close, but close enough for a friendly assistant, "... what happens from here?"

"In the car, you can help yourself. "Let's go for a ride."

Huh? Is it just me who is perplexed? Let's go on a ride. I'm not sure what you mean. The fact that I didn't expect to meet him on the first day. CEOs were expected to be pleasant and professional. Not arrogant and never smiling. I wasn't saying he wasn't professional, but we're getting the message. What are your thoughts? 

I did as instructed, assisting myself in the car. The air freshener smelled like raspberry and the AC was turned on inside his car. It was mildly cool. The tone had been established. He started the engine and began driving. The ride was relatively quiet. I had nothing to say, and I probably wouldn't anyway. Not that I was expecting it. 

He broke the ice by asking, "Do I always have to start the conversation?"

"I fail to see why." I raised my shoulders and said, "If I had something to say, I would have said it."

"I'm asking you for a favor."

Favor? I always go out of my way for him. What made meeting up with him so different from asking me at work? 

"Favor?" I acted surprised.

"Can't a boss ask his assistant for favors?"

"Didn't say you couldn't."