Chapter 1

That night he had a dream, in the annoying night rain of Rongcheng.

He dreamt of the scene a year ago when the fighter jet crashed - the operating system went out of control, the pointer was jumping erratically, and the fighter jet spun like a gyroscope, crashing into the mountains and forests. A deafening explosion erupted, and billowing black smoke engulfed the sunlight of that day.

It was an accident that occurred during a routine exercise. He didn't witness it firsthand and didn't know why he could imagine it so vividly, as if he were the one who died.

He had been retired for two years, switched to civil aviation. When the fighter jet crashed, he was piloting a passenger plane taking off. He received a call from a former comrade after landing. The comrade cried and said, "Our instructor is gone."

The scene shifted, and he dreamt of his current little wife, Wang Yibo. Back then, he was even younger, still an intern, just after celebrating his twenty-second birthday.

He was still wearing the flight attendant uniform when he returned home. He received the news while attending a company class and rushed back in the rain, getting completely soaked. Without taking off his shoes, he entered the house, leaving a trail of wet footprints on the wooden floor. He stood there silently, not saying anything, until a long time passed before he hugged his crying mother and said, "Mom, I'm still here."

Continuous autumn rain, mournful crying, intertwined into a suppressed elegy that took root in his heart.

Wang Yibo also cried later, biting his lip, her eyes wide open, looking upward, crying stubbornly without making a sound.

And then, Wang Yibo discovered that he was also in the room. Through the heavy air, Wang Yibo looked at him with reddened eyes. In the silent gaze that lasted for several minutes, he saw the struggle and guilt in his eyes.

The scene shifted again to the funeral hall.

The casket was empty, the instructor's remains were nowhere to be found. He and his comrades brought red envelopes and completed all the necessary formalities. They gathered outside the funeral hall to reminisce. Just as a comrade handed him a cigarette, Wang Yibo ran out.

Everyone knew that Wang Yibo is the instructor's son, and they all turned their heads in unison, including him.

Wang Yibo is an Omega, even though he denied it after his gender was determined, but he couldn't control his physiological reactions. Facing a group of Alphas, he felt nervous and uncomfortable.

"Zhan, Zhan ge." Wang Yibo hesitated for a long time before calling him.

"Could you all give us some space?" he reminded his comrades to maintain a distance, then approached Wang Yibo and asked softly, "What's wrong, Yibo?"

"Let's, go over there. I have something to ask you."

He agreed, and later he often thought that he shouldn't have agreed. But what could he do? He had liked Wang Yibo even before he presented as an Omega.

"Zhan ge, well, I wanted to ask you..." he stammered, looking embarrassed, "My father, before he passed away, always wanted me to... marry you. I always disagreed, and we kept arguing about it until we fought everytime we saw each other. Before the accident, I hadn't been home for a long time." As he said this, he pressed his lips together, and his eyes became red in an instant.

He couldn't bear to see Wang Yibo cry and couldn't help but furrow his brows.

Wang Yibo raised his hand to wipe his eyes, suppressing his sobbing and continued, "You know my father's personality, very traditional. He believed that Omegas must get married, it's better to marry a reliable Alpha early on. I couldn't accept his views, but deep down, I knew he meant well. He just thought that Omegas would be taken advantage of if they lived alone..."

His trailing voice was engulfed by tears, and the air around the funeral hall seemed colder than outside, accompanied by the patter of light rain, creating a somewhat desolate atmosphere.

"Yibo." He couldn't hold back, extending his hand and gently embracing Wang Yibo. Now, it seemed to be the moment when he let go of his principles and pride.

He comforted Wang Yibo, saying, "Don't cry, what do you want to say? Just say it."

"I..." Wang Yibo was extremely nervous, so nervous that he almost couldn't speak. He patiently waited until a faint scent of figs appeared in the air, and Wang Yibo looked up and said, "I asked my father before, and he said you were willing to marry me. I want to ask, are you still willing now?"

Wang Yibo didn't love him. Wang Yibo didn't acknowledge his Omega status and didn't want to be marked. So-called marriage was just to fulfill his father's wish and provide him with a marriage certificate to put his father's mind at ease.

Wang Yibo didn't realize that he loved him, thinking that he was only doing it to fulfill his parents' expectations. He thought, living together was just like being roommates, it would be better to be with someone familiar than a stranger, and it wouldn't be too dull, like friends.

"I'm willing." He said it very despicably, carrying his thoughts of winning over Wang Yibo in their daily interactions. He nodded and obtained that marriage certificate.

Opening his eyes, it was already bright outside. The sound of rain continued, and Xiao Zhan rubbed his throbbing temples, sitting up and yawning.

This was a new house bought by his parents when they got married, and the bed was naturally a double bed. Xiao Zhan had originally intended to let Wang Yibo have the master bedroom, but Wang Yibo refused, saying he liked the decoration in the second bedroom and that there was space for his desktop computer and Lego models. Nonsense, it was only because the house was bought by his parents-in-law.

They were a couple in name only. Wang Yibo was afraid of taking advantage of him, wanting to establish clear boundaries between them from the start, even suggesting that they split the living expenses equally. He said, "If we don't clarify now, it will be difficult later if we want a divorce."

At that time, they had just been married for a week, and Xiao Zhan felt defeated for a moment. He wanted to ask, "Are you already thinking about divorce now?" but couldn't find the right words to say.

Wang Yibo was considering him. Considering their salaries, it was obvious that Wang Yibo would benefit if they pooled their money together. Xiao Zhan should be grateful that Wang Yibo knew his boundaries, was considerate, and if Wang Yibo didn't love him.

Entering August, the sun grew hotter with each passing day. A heavy rain last night made the air sticky and humid this morning.

Xiao Zhan turned off the air conditioner that had been running all night, taking advantage of the sun before it rose, and opened the window to let fresh air in.

He walked out of the bedroom to freshen up, and the bathroom door was closed. Xiao Zhan heard the sound of rushing water inside and knocked on the door, "Yibo? Are you showering?"

"I am, I'll be done soon! Just a moment."

"No rush, take your time. I'll go make breakfast first." Xiao Zhan withdrew his hand, and from inside, Wang Yibo replied, "Okay."

In fact, they get along quite well. Wang Yibo isnot indifferent towards him; they are like good buddies. Wang Yibo wouldprotect his dignity in front of others and play the role quite convincingly.Apart from the necessary avoidance due to their genders, they have also becomeintimate. In the eyes of outsiders, they appear as a sweet and compatible couple.