Chapter 8

Naturally, the dinner that took the whole afternoon to prepare was formal enough. Wang Yibo didn't even know that Xiao Zhan could cook Western cuisine. When he saw the Michelin-level dishes being served on the table and noticed Xiao Zhan lighting scented candles nearby, he raised an eyebrow and said, "Did you study at New Oriental before joining the military?"

Xiao Zhan was amused by him and put the candle on the side of the table, saying, "Haven't you heard a saying? The real masters are in the ordinary."

"You're indeed a master. You're too amazing." Wang Yibo picked up a wine opener and a bottle of red wine he had kept at home for a long time, glanced at Xiao Zhan, and asked while opening the wine, "I've always been curious. You joined the military academy at the age of eighteen. They couldn't have let you cook in the army, so when did you learn? Did you learn before joining? Did your mom teach you?"

"Sort of. I've always enjoyed cooking since I was little. My mom usually cooked, and I would watch by her side, and I learned as I watched." Xiao Zhan casually replied, placing two tall glasses in front of Wang Yibo.

With a "pop," the cork was pulled out, and Xiao Zhan took off his apron. Wang Yibo saw the identical wedding ring on his ring finger, just like his own. The ring was a simple design because they both didn't like anything extravagant. Xiao Zhan specifically chose a small diamond. But even that small diamond was sparkling and shining under the candlelight today, more dazzling than the sun.

He poured two glasses of wine, and Xiao Zhan took the wine bottle and placed it aside. The two glasses were placed in their respective positions. Wang Yibo looked at the fully set table and suddenly didn't know what to do next.

"Should we eat first or have the cake first?" Xiao Zhan smiled and asked, walking behind him, pulling out a chair, and patting him on the back, saying, "Little birthday boy."

Wang Yibo almost jumped up and turned around to see Xiao Zhan's well-groomed smile and tidy white shirt. He felt like he was in a Michelin-starred restaurant.

"Zhan ge..."

"Take a seat." Xiao Zhan said.

Wang Yibo sat down somewhat stiffly, thinking, Should I change clothes? Even if not wearing a formal suit, at least I shouldn't be in pajamas.

Naturally, Xiao Zhan could see Wang Yibo's discomfort. He was also quite nervous. He held Wang Yibo's shoulder, asking again, "Yibo, do you want to eat first or have the cake first?"

"I..." Wang Yibo didn't know either. He felt that this dinner and the cake didn't hold significance in simply eating them. Their purpose would be fulfilled by just being on the table. After thinking for a moment, he said, "Let's eat first. You've been cooking for the whole afternoon, and it won't taste good if it gets cold."

"Okay, that's what I was thinking too." Xiao Zhan patted his shoulder and returned to his seat opposite him. Wang Yibo lowered his head, and Xiao Zhan picked up his wine glass and said, "Let's leave 'Happy Birthday' for later. First..."

He tilted his wine glass, gently touching it against Wang Yibo's. The wine in the glass created beautiful ripples. Xiao Zhan said, "I hope you're happy and joyful every day."

"Thank you." Wang Yibo was stunned for a moment before responding. As he held the wine glass, he felt a tender emotion welling up from his heart to his fingertips, flowing into his gaze as he looked at Xiao Zhan. He whispered, "You too."

He wasn't an elegant person and had no taste for red wine and Western cuisine. He didn't even like eating Western food because it was troublesome with knives and forks, cutting the food into small pieces and eating delicately, too refined for him. But today was different. He had infinite patience for each dish, and he even intentionally maintained this delicacy, refusing Xiao Zhan's offer to bring chopsticks.

Xiao Zhan asked him, "How is it? Is it delicious?" Wang Yibo, for the first time, felt dissatisfied with his lack of eloquence. After thinking for a while, he could only say, "Hmm, it's really delicious." But Xiao Zhan understood him, he didn't think he was just being perfunctory and smiled happily.

The candle added a hint of fragrant rose scent to the room, and the red wine added a seductive color to his eyelids. Wang Yibo unknowingly finished the wine in his glass.

He reached out to take the wine bottle, and Xiao Zhan said, "Hey, let's not drink anymore. You rarely drink alcohol, it wouldn't be good if you get drunk." It seemed like he was already a bit drunk, otherwise why would his head feel dizzy and think that Xiao Zhan looked really handsome?

"Zhan ge." Wang Yibo picked up his fork again, playing with the salad on his plate, and smiled as he said, "I think I know why so many people like you."

Xiao Zhan almost choked and asked, "Why?"

"Because you're really handsome." Wang Yibo continued to smile, raising his fork and gesturing towards Xiao Zhan's features through the air. "This face, this figure, with a car and a house, earning millions a year, former Air Force Major, and high combat power. Others boast about how much money they make or how many girls they've been with, but you boast about flying fighter jets in the past, dropping bombs wherever you want. How cool is that?"

"And these are not even the most important things..." Wang Yibo swayed the fork, causing the light to shatter into fragments like gemstones, each reflecting his smile. Xiao Zhan was almost drunk in his eyes and asked, "What else is there?"

"You're just too good. You're the gentlest person I've ever met." Wang Yibo looked at Xiao Zhan and said, "If you can treat me this well, you would be even better to someone you love. Hey, have you ever been in a relationship before?"

Xiao Zhan smiled and shook his head, saying, "No."

"Never? Why not? That shouldn't be the case."

"I joined the military when I was eighteen, and I only have a one-month leave each year." Xiao Zhan shrugged and answered, "Do you see any Omegas in the army? Even finding a beta is rare. Who would I date?"

"True." Wang Yibo nodded sympathetically, looking at him, "You've had it tough, Zhan ge, never even been in a relationship."

Xiao Zhan held back his laughter and said, "Are you pitying me? You haven't been in a relationship either."

"But I'm different. I'm an Omega." Wang Yibo hooked his lips, somewhat ironic and helpless. But he didn't let his thoughts wander and suppressed his loneliness as he asked, "So, have you ever liked someone?"

The fork hit the edge of the porcelain plate, and Xiao Zhan put it down. "Yes."

"Really?" Wang Yibo suddenly became sober, putting down his fork and sitting up straight, staring at Xiao Zhan. "When did you start liking them? Why have I never heard you mention it? Were they a classmate or a comrade? Why didn't you get together?"

His words came out like bullets, firing one after another. Xiao Zhan had never seen him so gossiping before, finding it quite amusing and strangely cute, as if he had returned to their childhood.

Xiao Zhan looked at Wang Yibo and said, "I liked them a long time ago, before we even graduated. They weren't a classmate or a comrade. They were younger than me, someone I coincidentally met."

"As for why we didn't get together..." Xiao Zhan paused, smiled, and his deep affection was engulfed by Wang Yibo's innocent eyes. "They didn't like me."

"Haha, they didn't like you? That's impossible. Did you confess? Did they explicitly say they didn't like you?" Wang Yibo was puzzled, never expecting that Xiao Zhan would also experience unrequited love. After seeing Xiao Zhan's helpless expression, he seemed to understand. "Oh," he exclaimed, "they already had someone else in their heart, right? When you liked them, they already had an Alpha?"

"No, the person didn't like anyone." Xiao Zhan turned his face to the side and said softly.

Wang Yibo couldn't believe it and defended him, finding it absurd and worthy of a magical scene in a movie.

He rubbed his forehead and said, "I guess his thoughts were similar to yours. It wasn't a rejection of me, but a rejection of being with an Alpha. He was afraid of acting impulsively, getting into a relationship, and then being unable to leave that person."