Chapter 10

The sound of footsteps interrupted his thoughts, and Wang Yibo anxiously looked up to see Xiao Zhan naturally approaching and sitting beside him.

"Here." Xiao Zhan handed him a black gift box. "Birthday gift."

Wang Yibo carefully inspected the box, but there was no logo on it; it was a specially bought gift box. He couldn't guess what was inside the box or its value. Looking back at Xiao Zhan, Xiao Zhan pushed the box into his hands and smiled, saying, "Take it, why are you staring?"

"Zhan ge, I..." Wang Yibo held the box, unsure whether to accept it or return it. He furrowed his brows in worry and asked Xiao Zhan, "Zhan ge, just tell me honestly, is this gift expensive or not?"

Xiao Zhan smiled and shook his head at Wang Yibo's hesitant expression. "It's not expensive."

He wasn't lying. It was the first time he had seriously bought a gift for Wang Yibo, and compared to the meaning it represented, the price didn't matter anymore.

"Not expensive? Why do I feel..." Wang Yibo doubted as he weighed the box in his hands. He couldn't help but feel unsure, but Xiao Zhan's expression showed no flaws. After hesitating for a while, Wang Yibo said, "Okay, if it's just a small trinket, I'll accept it. Don't deceive me, okay?"

"Mhm," Xiao Zhan responded with a smile.

Wang Yibo held the box and carefully opened it. As he saw what was inside, his expression changed dramatically. Xiao Zhan watched as he went from shock to daze, holding the box as if in a trance. Unable to hold back, Xiao Zhan chuckled and patted Wang Yibo's shoulder. "Yibo, what's with that expression? Consider it a gift for your official debut. I didn't celebrate it for you back then."

Wang Yibo turned to look at him, pursing his lips several times but not saying anything. As if it were an illusion, Xiao Zhan felt that Wang Yibo's eyes seemed slightly red.

"Yibo?" Xiao Zhan tentatively called out. Wang Yibo pressed his lips together, lowered his head, and said, "Is this not expensive? Do you think I'm a fool? How could I not recognize such a famous brand?"

"It's not expensive, Yibo. Where's the extravagance?" Xiao Zhan pulled Wang Yibo's hand and said, "Think about it. Since we met until now, I've never given you a decent gift. Even for our marriage, I only bought a ring. Look at other people around us, who hasn't spent money to make their wives happy?"

He explained it logically. "For example, Xiao Xie. When her husband was pursuing her, he would send flowers to the company every other day and buy her countless gifts. That's a normal thing to do."

Wang Yibo was getting dizzy from his words. He felt that something was not right. "But they are a real couple. We... we're different from them."

"What's different about us? Are we considered fake just because we don't have romantic love? Are all those arranged marriages fake? At least we are genuinely good to each other, unlike those who calculate everything. Why should we be considered fake?"

"Ah?" Wang Yibo scratched his head, feeling that what Xiao Zhan said made sense yet didn't make sense. He looked into Xiao Zhan's eyes, and that sincere and candid gaze was more convincing than words, making him start to doubt himself.

Xiao Zhan continued, "Actually, it's not just to make you happy. I know you prefer something like a model or action figure. But Yibo, watches for guys are like bags for girls. It's more of a symbol, especially in our industry. Just because you're not interested in comparisons doesn't mean others won't speculate behind your back."

"This watch of mine was a birthday gift from my dad," he smiled and continued, "If the instructor were still around, it wouldn't be my turn to buy it. But, let's not talk about that. I just want to say that many guys receive a watch with this kind of significance. So, of course, Yibo should have one too."

"It has to be a gift, not something you buy yourself." Xiao Zhan tried to appear relaxed and joked.

He was always considerate, never burdening

Wang Yibo with anything. He had already paved the way for him, and all Wang Yibo needed to do was give a simple "Mhm" or nod, and everything would fall into place. But this time was different. The more Xiao Zhan insisted, the more anxious Wang Yibo felt. It wasn't just about the expensive watch, it was about Xiao Zhan's sincerity. Wang Yibo didn't know how to repay him in the future.

"But it's really too expensive," Wang Yibo said, gripping the box and wanting to return it to Xiao Zhan. "Zhan ge, it really won't do. I appreciate the sentiment, I'm touched. If you had given me something cheaper, I would have accepted it. But this... How can I repay you in the future? Take it back, return it, really, or you can wear it yourself. I didn't need to wear such an expensive watch to begin with. Everyone knows how much I earn, and it's obvious that you bought it for me."

"Yibo," Xiao Zhan shook his head and didn't take the box. Wang Yibo seemed to consider it a hot potato and stubbornly insisted on returning it to him.Xiao Zhan stood up and said, "Yibo, don't be like this."

Wang Yibo paused for a moment, perhaps realizing that his expression had hurt Xiao Zhan.

"Ge," Wang Yibo looked at him nervously and said, "I... I just... don't misunderstand me. I don't dislike you giving me gifts. I just feel that your sincerity is enough. You don't have to spend money on me."

"It's necessary," Xiao Zhan said.

"It's not that I don't like it, so just accept it," he embraced Wang Yibo, a sudden gesture. Wang Yibo was stunned, freezing in place without any movement.

Xiao Zhan closed his eyes and gently stroked the back of Wang Yibo's head, his fingertips intertwining with his hair, feeling like needles that pierced not only his fingertips but also his heart.

In a deep, sigh-like voice, he said, "Yibo, don't reject me."

Wang Yibo smelled the familiar scent of cold spruce, but it seemed to have been influenced by its owner's mood. It became colder and bitter, like it had just been drenched in a heavy rain. He, too, seemed to be infected by Xiao Zhan's emotions. There was a dull pain in his chest. With one hand holding the box, he slowly raised the other hand and placed it on Xiao Zhan's waist, giving it a pat.

"I'll accept it, I accept it," he compromised, but it was different from the uneasiness he felt when refusing. Instead, he felt calm, at ease. Wang Yibo relaxed and gently embraced Xiao Zhan. "Ge, don't be upset."

In truth, he was deeply moved. He had never heard such words or received such a gift. He was overwhelmed with emotions and didn't know what to do. Maybe it would be safe to retreat to a corner, away from the gaze of others. He thought to himself, hiding in a corner untouched by the sun.

He had become accustomed to being ignored, and now he was afraid when faced with sunlight.