Chapter 11

It was 3 a.m., and the nightlife in Rongcheng was coming to a close. Young men and women walked to the street to hail a taxi, their lonely shadows stretched by the moonlight.

The bowls and dishes had already been cleaned and returned to the cabinet. The exquisite decorations were thrown into the trash bin, leaving only the food that could be consumed for the next meal, packed in containers along with a small piece of cake that was missing. The refrigerator was filled.

With a frustrated click of his tongue, Wang Yibo turned over again. He opened his eyes and switched on the bedside lamp. After checking the time, he sat up and rubbed his face.

From 11 p.m. until now, a full four hours had passed, and he had been unable to fall asleep, tossing and turning. His mind remained in a state of excitement, cutting the past and present into fragmented scenes, playing them in a jumbled mess.

Lately, he had been experiencing insomnia like this, forgetting exactly when it had started. Every night, he struggled to fall asleep, and even when he did, he would have dreams. In short, he couldn't find peace. Initially, he attributed it to the upcoming heat cycle—an Omega becomes sensitive, restless, and extremely insecure before and after their heat. Only by receiving the pheromones of an Alpha or the presence and comfort of a partner can these symptoms be alleviated. However, this time was different from before. His symptoms hadn't eased instead, they had become more intense. And he could even say that it was Xiao Zhan who made him anxious.

He tried to console himself with the thought, "Xiao Zhan is just that kind of person" but he couldn't accept it calmly. Xiao Zhan could treat his parents like that because they had raised him and sacrificed everything for him. They deserved such repayment. But what had Wang Yibo done for Xiao Zhan? Compared to what Xiao Zhan had given, the little bit of companionship he offered was insignificant. Moreover, since they got married, Xiao Zhan had taken care of him in every aspect.

He thought to himself that his current life was still benefiting from being an Omega.

If Wang Yibo and Xiao Zhan swapped roles, would this kind of relationship still exist? Xiao Zhan believed it was only natural to take care of him. Setting aside the age difference, it was mostly because he was an Omega. In this world, it was a matter of course for an Alpha to take care of an Omega. In fact, this care had become the most important criterion for measuring an Alpha's virtue.

Wang Yibo often felt tired as well. More and more realities told him: You will never achieve the equality you hope for. You actually accept this inequality in every aspect. You don't resent the care and attention you receive as an Omega, you just refuse the shackles and disdain that come with being an Omega. Who isn't like this? Is there anything perfect in the world?

The air conditioner continued to run, and Wang Yibo picked up the remote control and adjusted the temperature by two degrees. Then he opened the bedside table and took out the exquisite gift box.

It lay quietly in his hand, disturbing his restless heart. Wang Yibo sighed and opened the box. In fact, he had already opened it countless times since returning to the bedroom tonight.

Xiao Zhan had pushed the matter to that extent, and he couldn't refuse anymore. However, reluctantly accepting it had created a burden for both of them.

After dinner, they tacitly went about their own business, reducing their conversations until it was time to sleep. They stood together in the bathroom, brushing their teeth.

Xiao Zhan seemed to have forgotten about the gift and didn't ask where Wang Yibo had put the watch. He smiled and said, "We have tomorrow off as well. Do you want to go home and visit your mom? I'll accompany you."

Wang Yibo thought for a moment and shook his head, saying, "My mom went to my grandma's house."

Xiao Zhan replied, "Oh, okay."

Wang Yibo didn't know why he was so nervous and quickly explained, "She really went to my grandma's house. Remember when I took a vacation last time? My grandfather's stomach problem flared up, and he was hospitalized."

Xiao Zhan rinsed his mouth and looked puzzled by Wang Yibo's sudden reaction. He turned his head and said, "I know, I just forgot for a moment. I remember now."

"Oh, okay" Wang Yibo replied with his toothbrush in his mouth, feeling even more nervous. He nodded hastily and bent down to rinse his mouth, not continuing the conversation.

He took out the watch and held it in his hand. It felt heavy. Setting the box aside, Wang Yibo sat up and put on the watch.

Xiao Zhan had never been good at giving gifts. He only knew how to change the packaging, leaving all the random labels inside the box. Even if Wang Yibo didn't recognize the watch, he could see its price tag.

If it were someone else, Wang Yibo would think that leaving the labels was intentional. After giving such an expensive gift, they would probably want the recipient to know the exact price. Wang Yibo smiled and put the label back in the box. He believed that Xiao Zhan had simply forgotten. If possible, Xiao Zhan would probably prefer him to think that the watch cost only a few hundred yuan, so he could accept it without any burden.

In the dim light of the night lamp, Wang Yibo leaned against the headboard, staring at his wrist.

Indeed, it was beautiful. Not because it exuded the scent of money, but because it perfectly matched Wang Yibo's aesthetics—a simple design that didn't immediately reveal its price, but upon closer inspection, it exuded sophistication.

Wang Yibo suddenly thought, "If only Xiao Zhan and I weren't so compatible." For example, if he were a wealthy person, rich and capable, and only gave gifts that would make Wang Yibo look down on him, he could genuinely refuse the things he couldn't bear. But unfortunately, Xiao Zhan was both thoughtful and not vulgar, customizing every surprise for him. How could he not like it, and how could he not be happy? However, he felt increasingly ashamed of himself.

The hour hand gradually shifted towards "four." Wang Yibo took off the watch and placed it back in the box. He put the box on the bedside table as if closing Pandora's box, then picked up his phone to check his bank account balance.

Being a flight attendant was considered a well-paying job, although it couldn't compare to being a captain. Wang Yibo had simple material desires and hardly had any social activities. Xiao Zhan was also resolute in not splitting their living expenses, so he only needed to spend on things he liked, saving about seventy percent of his salary.

Xiao Zhan's birthday was still two months away. In fact, he could buy him a gift of equal value. But would it be crazy to spend all his savings on a gift? Xiao Zhan wouldn't be happy, and he probably wouldn't understand either.

Wang Yibo clicked his tongue, exited the mobile banking app, locked his phone, placed it on the bedside table, and turned off the light to sleep.

He continued to overthink until dawn and finally fell asleep. Perhaps his thoughts during the day led to dreams at night, as he dreamt of Xiao Zhan—wearing the same white shirt as today, pushing open the door to his bedroom.

He couldn't see his face, but he could hear the deafening sound of his heartbeat. It was probably a funny expression, but Xiao Zhan laughed. He closed the door and walked over, hugging him without asking for permission and even kissing him. The name "Yibo" was repeated countless times, making everything that followed seem natural.

The next day at noon, after Wang Yibo woke up, he took off his sweaty pyjamas and dirty pants and carried them with the clean clothes into the bathroom for a shower.

During his two heat periods after getting married, he had dreams like this. The first time, he naturally felt guilty and avoided Xiao Zhan for several days. But later, it wasn't surprising anymore. It was just a physiological need, and there had to be a subject in the dream, right? Xiao Zhan, the Alpha closest to him, was the one he would dream of. Dreaming of someone else would be strange.