Chapter 13

Wang Yibo's legs were starting to feel numb from squatting for too long, and he began to sweat, unsure of how much time had passed. Wang Yibo wiped his face on the pillow and slowly stood up, leaning against the wall. He tried lifting his leg and then put it down, grimacing as he waited for the tingling sensation to subside. Just as he lowered his head, he saw a sliver of light coming through the crack in the door.

A buzz echoed in Wang Yibo's mind, and he completely forgot about his numb legs. He straightened up and turned around, and as the door was pushed open from the inside, he exclaimed, "Fuck!"

Clearly startled, Xiao Zhan jumped a little, and Wang Yibo didn't know what expression to make. Awkwardly, he smiled and said, "Um... I..."

"You scared me to death! What are you doing standing here instead of sleeping?" Xiao Zhan finally recovered after a while and pushed the door wide open. The light illuminated Wang Yibo's profile, and Xiao Zhan noticed the pillow he was clutching and the slightly reddened eyes. His heartbeat skipped a beat, and he said, "What's wrong, Yibo? Did... did you cry?"

"Are you feeling unwell somewhere? Weren't you fine earlier in the evening..." Xiao Zhan grabbed his shoulders and examined him up and down.

As Xiao Zhan's voice grew more anxious, Wang Yibo inexplicably felt his nose sore for no reason. Perhaps people were just vulnerable in the late night, especially when approaching their heat period. Fragile like glass, easily shattered with a touch. He called out, "Zhan ge" and tears fell uncontrollably, completely startling Xiao Zhan.

"What's wrong, Yibo? What's happening? Stop crying, don't cry"

Xiao Zhan hurriedly wiped away his tears, and Wang Yibo had never seen him so flustered before. The fingers clumsily wiped his tears and the messy gaze cast upon him seemed more touching than his usual thoughtfulness and understanding. Wang Yibo didn't know why he felt so wronged, staring at Xiao Zhan but unable to utter a single word, crying more and more.

"Don't cry, okay? Nothing's wrong. If something happens, tell me, I'll solve it. I can solve it." He felt as if he had returned to the day of the plane crash a year ago – Wang Yibo, soaked in rain, tears streaming down his face, looked at him through the heavy air, and he felt the pain as if it were his own.

He couldn't bear to see Wang Yibo cry. This child bit his lip and cried silently – like a burning candle, tears falling drop by drop, body melting second by second, fire burning silently.

He pulled Wang Yibo into his embrace, and Wang Yibo buried his face in Xiao Zhan's shoulder, dropping the pillow. Xiao Zhan caressed the back of his head, holding him tightly, and said, "Listen to me, okay? Stop crying, or your eyes will swell. I'm here, everything will be fine."

"Actually, there's nothing wrong" Wang Yibo managed to calm down and said, "I just can't sleep, insomnia. It's been a few days now, as soon as the lights go out, my mind starts wandering, and I don't know why. Maybe it's because the heat period is approaching. I feel so strange lately." As he spoke, he pouted, and his voice choked, "For no reason, I'm constantly conflicted, inexplicably afraid, and I cry for no reason. I can't understand anything anymore."

His words were somewhat incoherent, and Xiao Zhan didn't fully understand what was happening, but he could tell that Wang Yibo's thoughts were muddled, and his emotions were in a terrible state.

He could only attribute Wang Yibo's unusual behaviour to the impending heat period. Perhaps it was the side effect of long-term suppressant use, or maybe their long-delayed bonding process was exacerbating the effects of the heat period.

"Okay, don't be afraid, Yibo. You're feeling this way because the heat period is approaching" Xiao Zhan comforted him in a soft voice, holding him close. "You can't sleep every night?"