1

Merlin looked over at Arthur from across the campfire. The Prince was exhausted, he said it was just after the Quest but Merlin knew that it was because of the bracelet Morgana had given to him. The eye of the Pheonix, Gaius had told him that it sucked the life out of you. Gwaine was pushing a rock around with his sword, obviously thinking about something. The three men had just been to the Perilous Lands because Arthur had gone to get the Fisher King's trident to prove himself to be a strong leader to the people. Morgana had given him the bracelet and Merlin knew he had to go after the Prince, so he found Gwaine and they went. Merlin couldn't get the Fisher King's words out of his head, that Camelot's time of need was near. Now they had nothing to eat or drink and were a few days from Camelot, Arthur needed something to help restore his strength.

"We need to find something to eat soon" murmured Merlin, voicing his thoughts.

"We've looked, there's nothing around" replied Arthur tiredly.

"Where are we?" asked Gwaine after a minute.

"Em... A few days from Camelot, its North of here" answered the Prince.

"I know a place" he continued,"Its not far and it wouldn't take much time off our journey, we could stop and rest".

"I'm really not in the mood to go to the tavern today Gwaine" said Arthur.

"Its not a tavern".

"That's new" laughed Merlin,"What is it?".

"Its not dangerous. The people will take care of us".

"That doesn't answer my question".

"Please trust me, you'll see when we get there" Gwaine said. Merlin and Arthur looked at each other.

"Fine" Arthur sighed,"Can you get us there?".

"Of course" grinned Gwaine. They decided that there was no point in waiting so they set off straight away, letting Gwaine lead.

———————————————————————————

The next evening the three men led their horses to a tall castle, they stopped outside the iron portcullis. A woman came up after a minute and stood on the other side. "Who are you?" she demanded sternly.

"We wish to eat and rest, my name is Gwaine" he addressed her.

A look of recognition crossed her face but she glanced at the other two behind him. "Can you prove that?" she asked. Gwaine looked at his wrist and pulled back his sleeve before leaning towards the portcullis to show her. She nodded. "Who are they?" she pointed at Merlin and Arthur.

"They're friends, they don't mean any harm" Gwaine assured her. She nodded again.

"Open the gates!" she called and somewhere up above someone started opening them. While she was occupied Arthur leaned over.

"I'm very confused" he laughed.

Gwaine smiled. "I'm known in places". Merlin laughed then.

"Follow me please" she ordered. They urged their horses into walk and then followed her to the stables where three stable-hands took the mounts. "We will have rooms arranged for you" she said,"Food will be served shortly".

She went to go but Gwaine stopped her. "I was wondering if I could see the Lady Mira?".

Merlin and Arthur looked at each other. "I believe she is in the gardens".

"Thank you" Gwaine smiled before turning and walking towards the grounds.

"Gwaine!" called Arthur while he jogged up to him with Merlin. But Gwaine didn't stop but did when they reached a certain point. Merlin and Arthur looked to see what he was staring at.