27

"Let's get out tomorrow. Just you and me for a ride in the forest". Gwaine smoothed down Mira's hair in a brotherly way like he always did. They were outside her door after he'd walked her back after dinner.

"Really?" Mira asked excitedly. He grinned. "I'd love to!" she hugged him tightly. Gwaine laughed and rested his chin on her head. He thought about all the times he'd held her, he felt fifteen years old again, comforting her after a massive fight with Osric. He knew that Mira felt guilty about everything but she shouldn't, he wanted to protect her. He couldn't imagine his life without her and he didn't want to. Gwaine sighed.

"What are you thinking?" Mira murmured pulling away.

"Nothing, just tomorrow" he lied with a smile.

"Alright, well Gwen will be waiting" she smiled. She turned to go.

"Hey Mira" he called and she looked back at him,"How do you find Camelot? Are you happy here?".

Mira laughed sweetly and took his hands in hers. "Gwaine, I've been here ages now. I love it here, more than anywhere! Don't worry, I love everyone, I have friends. What more could I want?".

"Osric behind bars" he grumbled.

"Yes well, we can't change that at the moment" Mira soothed and kissed his cheek,"Get some sleep".

He nodded,"Night Mira"

Gwaine walked along the dimly lit corridor and thought about training, Osric, Mira, food, Osric. When he got close to his chambers he saw three guards walking towards him. He nodded politely but they stopped in front of him.

"Sir Gwaine?" one asked gruffly.

"Yes" he replied, confused.

"You're under arrest, by order of the King"

———————————————————————————

Two guards held Gwaine's arms as they stood in front of King Uther. Only a moment later Arthur stormed in with the Knights trailing behind him, they hung back at the end of the council chambers. The Prince went straight up to Uther.

"Under what charges was he arrested?" he demanded. Uther hardly looked at his son.

"We have reason to believe that you are responsible for kidnapping Sir Osric's niece, Lady Mira, and bringing her here, and theft of important documents and money belonging to Osric on the night of the kidnapping, nearly four years ago". Gwaine was shocked. "How do you plead?" asked Uther coldly.

"This is ridiculous! I never did that!" he cried.

"And yet Lady Mira is here in Camelot under your protection" the King snapped.

"Of her own free will!" protested Gwaine.

"Why did you bring her to Camelot?"

"To keep her safe!"

"Are you sure it wasn't for anything else?" questioned Uther.

"Of course not!" he spat back.

"Father, you can't possibly believe this! I've spoken with her myself, she wasn't abducted" Arthur defended.

"Nevertheless, why would she tell anyone if she feared what would happen? And there is evidence to support the charges" replied the King.

"Evidence?"

"Letters written to Gwaine from slave-traders, they were found in your chambers"

"What?!" Gwaine spluttered. Arthur and the others didn't believe it but a few of the courtiers started to shift uncomfortably.