21

Mira lifted her hand up to knock and immediately dropped it again. She looked from the left to the right but no one was coming. Everyone would have left to go to the Tournament already. She bit her lip.

'Why is this so hard?' she thought, 'If I don't do it now I'll run out of time.' She took a deep breath and knocked.

"Enter" she heard the call and opened the door to the Prince's chambers. He and Merlin were both just finishing getting things ready for the Joust. He already had his armour on and Merlin was just checking that everything was alright. "Mira" greeted Arthur when she walked in.

"I'm sorry Sire, is this a bad time?" she asked.

"No not at all, we're just done".

She walked over, her long red dress brushing off the floor as she did. "I came to wish you luck in the Joust" Mira smiled.

"Thank you" Arthur returned her smile brightly.

"Are you nervous?" she questioned.

"A little" he laughed lightly.

"I'm just going to check the Lances in the armoury, my Lord" said Merlin with small bow, he smiled at Mira as he left.

"I was wondering Sire, whether you might wear this at the Joust" Mira started, looking down at a red silk piece of cloth.

"For luck" he said quietly looking at it.

"Yes" she replied finally looking up at him.

"I would be honoured" Arthur smiled. Mira smiled as well and he held out his arm asking could she help put it on. Mira wrapped it around the top half of his arm carefully, and made sure it was secure. "You're very gentle" he stated. She just laughed. "What about Gwaine?" he asked once she was facing him again,"Shouldn't he be the one getting your support?".

"Gwaine has his already" she chuckled, he did as well.

"Thank you Mira, to have your support and the token I mean". Mira smiled brightly. "I'd better go or I'll be late" he said after a minute.

"Yes, that wouldn't be wise" she agreed.

He kissed her hand and walked towards the door.

"My Lord" she called before she even thought about it. He stopped and looked back at her just as he reached the door.

"Please...Be careful" Mira continued. Arthur smiled at her again and bowed his head before leaving.

———————————————————————————

The trumpets sounded as Uther made his way to the throne where he would sit during the Joust. He addressed all the Knights who sat atop their horses in two lines facing him. Mira spotted Arthur in the first line, he was wearing her token.

A lot of the Knights had them, Gwaine who was in the first line too had a sky blue one, Lancelot had a white one from Gwen who sat beside Mira, Leon had one and so did the others in fact. Mira had been right, they all had supporters.

Eventually the first round came, it was between Gwaine and a visiting Knight. Gwaine came close to falling once which made Mira jump about three feet but in the end he won, knocking his opponent clean off. There was an "Ooooo" from the crowd as he flew off the back of his horse and landed on his back heavily. Mira felt really sorry for him but was relieved that it hadn't been Gwaine. She clapped and smiled happily with the crowd.

Next was Lancelot with a Knight that Mira nor Gwen didn't know. Lancelot was very skilled with a lance and his horse galloped forward, he brought his lance up and thrust it towards the opponent but the Knight stayed on. They went again and this time Lancelot nearly got hit, at which Gwen gripped Mira's hand so tightly that Mira was sure the circulation had stopped. Then Lancelot got him in the shoulder and he fell sideways off his horse. Mira gasped as his foot caught in the stirrup and he got dragged a few feet before getting it unstuck.

Elyan, Leon and Percival all went then. Elyan lost his round but won another so he redeemed himself.

Then it was Arthur. When he came out the crowd cheered loudly and Mira found herself clapping more for him than anyone, she was even shaking with nervousness. Gwen smiled at her knowing that she'd given her token to the Prince. Mira blushed, anyone could give someone a token, even if you didn't like them.

Arthur felt Mira's token around his arm and it almost gave him more confidence. Out of all the Knights she'd chosen him, and although he didn't say it, he was extremely happy she had. He scanned the crowd on his Father's side and even through all the people he saw Mira sitting beside Guinevere. She was clapping he could see that, he thought she was smiling but he wasn't sure from that distance.

He got ready and once the flag was lifted he urged his horse into a gallop. He gripped his lance and hefted it into position, getting ready to strike. His opponent kept getting closer and then he went for it. He drove his lance for ward and it hit the Knight's shoulder, it unbalanced him quite a bit but by some miracle he stayed on. They rode to the end of their lanes and turned to face each other. Arthur thought of Mira and knew he had to win, at least to impress her. The flag went up and he spurred on his horse. He rode forward and got his lance into position. His opponent came into close view and Arthur pushed his lance forward. It hit the Knight straight in the chest, he toppled backwards off his horse and fell to the ground while his horse ran off. Arthur rode his horse passed the stands like all the winners, everyone had stood up to cheer and he saw Mira up close now. A big smile on her face and she clapped happily. He thought she caught his eye and he smiled, but it was so quick he wasn't sure.

Mira jumped up clapping as soon as Arthur knocked his opponent off his horse. She was so relieved he was alright that she barely concentrated on the other matches.

Was it her or did he smile at her as he passed the stands?

———————————————————————————

Later on, Gwen and Mira went down to the area with the tents. All the usual suspects had gotten into the next round the following day. Gwen went to go see Lancelot and Mira hesitated, should she go see the Prince? Inside she had to admit she really wanted to. She hardly had time to think about it when she heard her name being called. Turning around she saw Arthur walking towards her with Merlin close behind. Immediately her eyes lit up and she smiled. "Sire, congratulations!".

"Thank you, I'm sure your token helped though" Arthur was right in front of her now and he smiled charmingly.

"You didn't need any help from me, my Lord" Mira laughed. He just grinned. "So you go on to the next round tomorrow then" she observed.

"Yes, I hope to see you before then though" Arthur smiled. For a moment she was taken aback. He wanted to see her before the next round?! For some reason she wanted to grin from ear to ear and she got butterflies in her stomach.

"Of course, my Lord" Mira managed with a small smile, trying not to make it too big,"I'd better let you get back".

"Mira" the Prince bowed his head as usual and left. Merlin smiled at her as he passed.

Once she was sure he wouldn't see, Mira let a massive smile spread across her lips, she bit her lip to muffle it, but it didn't work.

"Oh, and what's this?" teased Gwen appearing beside her.

"Eh, nothing... I... I'm just happy that's all".

"That Gwaine's alright?".

"Yeah".

"And that Arthur got through to the next round?" Gwen pressed grinning. Mira flushed and nudged Gwen lightly before lincking her arm through the maid's and walking back to the castle.