12

Mira walked down the corridor, she was trying to memorise the halls so she could get around without assistance. Gwen was washing the floors so she thought it was better if she left so she wouldn't be in the way. Mira figured that she was near the Council Chambers because there were less rooms as she walked along. She looked out a window and saw that it was dark outside, so she could see her reflection, dark rings circled her eyes, other than that she looked normal. Mira hadn't slept well that night, she'd dreamt about Osric and would wake up every so often, sighing she kept walking.

After her incident a few days earlier where she'd gotten lost, she had taken to wandering around the castle, so far she was doing well, remembering where her room was and what side of the castle it was on, including figuring out where it was close to. The nearest person was Prince Arthur's servant Merlin and the Court Physician Gaius, who she hadn't met yet. Gwen had told her that she lived in the lower town but that she had a small room next to her Mistress' where she slept some nights. Guards who passed nodded at her with small murmurs of "My Lady" or "Lady Mira". It was becoming known that she was Gwaine's Ward. Mira heard low murmurs and looked up from the floor to see two men walking out of a room, which she guessed was the Council Chambers.

The two men saw her and suddenly she realised that one of them was King Uther! "Your Majesty" she said quietly dropping a deep curtsy. The two men had stopped as they were obviously going in different directions.

"Lady Mira" Uther acknowledged her in his regal tone. His voice was commanding but his eyes told a different story, wary and something....like betrayal Mira thought. But his daughter had betrayed him so any Father would look like that, she thought. The other man was older, he had nearly shoulder length white hair and he wore a blue and red tunic. "Good evening Gaius" Uther turned back to the man saying goodbye before walking passed Mira who still had her head bowed.

"I'm sorry, I have not had the pleasure of being introduced" said the older man named Gaius. His voice was softer and kinder than Uther's and his eyes were too, although they looked wise and like they had seen many things in life.

"Lady Mira" she smiled shyly,"I'm Sir Gwaine's Ward".

"Oh yes. My name is Gaius, I am the Court Physician" he held out his hand and she shook it. "Merlin has told me about you" Gaius continued.

"Oh! He told me that you live with him" Mira said smiling.

"Are you walking this way?" he asked.

"Yes" she replied.

"Can I accompany you?".

"I would like that very much, thank you" she answered, happy to have company. They turned and walked in the opposite direction to Uther.

"How are you settling in?" Gaius asked kindly.

"Very well, thank you. How long have you served the King?" she asked.

"Over twenty years now" he replied.

"Do you see many people a day in your line of work?".

"Well enough to keep me on my toes" Gaius replied with a hint of tiredness in his voice,"I believe that you lived in a convent for three years before coming here".

"Yes, I had nowhere to go so Gwaine thought it was best to leave me there" Mira answered, but Gaius noted the brief hesitation before she answered.

"Have you know him long?" he asked.

"Since I was a child" she replied, happier that he'd changed the subject.

"Why were you around here at this time of the evening?" he questioned.