6

Arthur's p.o.v

"Arthur?".

I turned around to see Gwaine. It was our last day and we were going to arrive in Camelot that night, we were packing up and getting the horses ready before the journey. "Gwaine" I greeted,"Is there anything I can do for you?".

"Yes, there is something I want to run by you". I nodded, waiting for him to go on. "I wish to make Mira my ward and I know I must ask your permission to do so" he explained.

"Of course you have my permission" I smiled.

"Thank you" Gwaine returned a smile. "But look after her Gwaine" I said quietly.

"I will" Gwaine replied and then turned to deliver the good news to Mira.

Why did I say that?

Why did I tell him to look after her?

I hardly know Mira!

I sighed and shook my head thinking again of when she looked at me from across the fire. Anyway, Gwaine didn't seem to notice what I'd said. I mean, she seems like a nice girl, everyone likes her! Maybe if I just talked to her I might stop acting like this. Well, if only I could talk to her like the others who talk so casually, but I'm the Prince so I can't, I wish I could though. I strapped my sword to my side and climbed up on to my horse, I looked over at Gwaine who was helping Mira up on to hers. I felt a pang in my chest as I remembered how I used to do that for Morgana, she was like a sister to me and yet all this had happened. Why? I knew why. If I had known about her having magic, could I have done something? I knew that I shouldn't ask questions like that, there was no point, but I couldn't help it.

"You alright?" Merlin pulled his horse up beside mine. I nodded before looking at him.

"Just thinking about Morgana" I replied quietly. This time Merlin nodded, there wasn't much any of us could say to help. I cleared my throat. "We should get going".

I signaled to the others and we set off towards Camelot.

———————————————————————————                                        

Mira's p.o.v

I fiddled with my reins. I was nervous about arriving in Camelot, my Father had told me stories about the Great Kingdom when I was young.

Would I fit in?

Would I be able to make a life for myself?

What would happen when we got there?

Question after question went through my mind. I smoothed down my dress and flicked bits of dirt and dust off, trying to make myself look a bit more respectable; my hem was dirty though, I had been wearing it for a few days now. I sighed and brushed my sleeves, it would have to do. It was easier for the men, they wore chainmail and breeches so it wasn't as big a deal if they got dirty, and they were Knights so they could get away for it, the same for Merlin as he was with them nearly all the time so I heard. Sir Leon had told me that Camelot was beautiful and I couldn't wait to see it! I heard something in the trees to my left and immediately looked to see what it was. Nothing. Lancelot, who was on that side, glanced at me and smiled politely. I smiled back and he returned to his usual position. I peeked back at the dark trees, a part of me expected to see Osric. Smirking at me, a bottle of wine in one hand, a sword or knife in the other; waiting to strike at me, waiting to kill me.

Three years.

Three years since I'd last seen him and yet I could still see his face in my mind as if it was yesterday. I wanted him to forget about me, convince himself that I was gone, dead. But he wasn't going to forget, he may be violent and drunk but he never forgot. He hated my Father and he hates me.

Would he find me in Camelot?

Would he hear that I'd become the Ward of Sir Gwaine, like Gwaine was planning to make me?

We rode on in silence, with a few murmurs from Leon, Elyan and Percival behind. Raven whined so I patted her neck.

"If you look after her Mira, she'll look after you".

My Father's words echoed in my head from the day he'd given Raven to me. He'd been right, like he usually was. I smiled at the memory. I sat back up, my thoughts momentarily off Osric, and concentrated on our ride.

———————————————————————————

In the night time, four hours later, the trees started to thin and you could see the sky through the gaps in the trees above. The sky was dark and the stars could be seen. It was lovely. The soft wind was still cold though. One minute we were in the forest and the next we were out in a large meadow. A huge castle towered over the trees lining it, small orange lights dotting the walls, windows. My mouth opened in amazement. Before long we were riding over a bridge and through the gates into the City. I looked around in curiosity.

"Welcome to Camelot" Gwaine smiled at me.