16

"Merlin, please tell me that there is a simple explanation for this".

Arthur sat at his desk giving his servant the 'choose-your-words-carefully-or-you-die' look. He was nearly two hours late, he placed the breakfast on the table. The Prince eyed it hungrily but didn't move. "I'm really sorry, Gaius and I had to go to Lady Mira" Merlin apologised hopefully. Arthur's face softened and he asked,"Why? Is she alright?".

"Eh...yes" Merlin thought about telling him but decided against it, it wasn't his secret to tell,"She woke up with an extreme headache and needed some medicine".

"Oh" was all Arthur could say, then,"I'll forgive you, just this once".

Merlin was relieved. Arthur put down his book and dug into his breakfast. "Are you sure its nothing serious? Mira I mean" he asked suddenly.

"Well, she should be better soon enough. Gaius has ordered her to stay in bed for the day" Merlin answered confused at him asking.

The Prince nodded and returned to his food. Merlin sighed. "Is there something wrong?" questioned Arthur.

"No".

"You sighed".

"Yeah?".

"Tell me".

"Just thinking about Mira" the servant admitted. "Oh! And do you think about her a lot then?" teased Arthur with a mischivous grin.

"No!" Merlin denied quickly.

Arthur's grin grew wider. "Sure about that? I could always talk to Gwaine, you know, see what he thinks".

"I don't think about her! And maybe when we talk to Gwaine we could mention that you were asking about her just now".

"That is totally different Merlin, it is called 'being polite', have you ever tried it?".

"Have I ever tried it?! Have you even heard of it?!".

"I ask the questions Merlin" Arthur mocked him, he found it funny seeing his servant so annoyed.

"I was thinking about her because I saw her this morning, or have you forgotten?" asked Merlin. Arthur just laughed which made Merlin laugh as well, but the young warlock couldn't get what Mira had told him out of his head.

———————————————————————————

"Mira, are you alright? I saw Gwen and she told me about your headache". Gwaine headed over to his Ward's bed and sat down with Gwen trailing behind carrying a jug of water.

"Yes, I'm fine. Well, as much as I can be with this. Although Gaius's medicine has helped a lot" Mira replied weakly.

He nodded but then she saw his eyes grow even more concerned. "Have...Have you been crying?" he asked carefully, but worry filled his voice. She glanced nervously at Gwen who had put down the jug but was looking over with a confused expression. The Lady nodded.

"Gwaine, I told Merlin and Gaius. They know now, Gaius saw my scar and they asked me about it. I'm so tired of keeping it to ourselves and I cracked, I know it was dangerous but you trust them, so I do too". She blurted it all at once, hardly taking a breath.

Gwaine's expression cleared."They know?".

"Yes".

The Knight took her hand. "You're right, I do trust them. In a way I'm glad they do. Don't worry, they won't go telling people. Anyway, if the people around you know, we can do more to ensure your safety".

"And what about your safety?" she asked.

"Even after everything you still worry about me" Gwaine smiled lovingly,"I have the protection of the Knights and Arthur as well. We look out for each other, I'll be fine".