15

A week later Gwen walked into Mira's chambers, put the breakfast on the table and opened the curtains to see dark clouds and lashing rain.

"Morning" Mira groaned.

"Morning, my Lady" Gwen smiled.

Mira went to get up out of bed but stopped herself as she sat up and clutched her head. "Gwen, I think I'll have breakfast in bed if that's alright" she mumbled.

Gwen was at her side with the tray in seconds."Mira? Are you okay?".

"I just have a headache, I woke up with it last night a few times". She took a sip of her water and nibbled on a piece of ham. It made her quite dizzy and the throbbing in her head increased.

"Is it really bad?" questioned the maid. Mira nodded with her eyes closed. "Do you want me to get Gaius?".

"No...no. He probably has worse cases than a meer headache, it will pass in a little while" Mira replied tiredly, pinching the bridge of her nose.

"I think I'll get Gaius" insisted Gwen.

"No I'm fine!" croaked Mira.

"You look like you've had no sleep and if its lasted since last night I think it would be best to get him. He would prefer to see you, believe me". With that Gwen went out the door and headed to Gaius.

She returned about fifteen minutes later with the Physician and Merlin trailing behind. "Good morning Mira" Gaius smiled warmly as Gwen took the tray off the bed so he could sit on the edge.

"I hope I didn't drag you out of bed Gaius" she did her best to smile back. Merlin stood at the foot of his bed.

"Not at all" he replied,"Gwen tells me you have an extreme headache, lasting through the night is that right?".

"Yes, I woke up a few times because of it". He nodded and asked Merlin to hand him his medicine bag. Gwen left with some washing and the tray of food that Mira wasn't going to eat, but not before making it clear that if there was anything that Mira needed Merlin should go fetch her.

"So" Gaius started after Gwen left,"I'll just check to make sure you aren't coming down with anything". She nodded and he checked her temperature and her pulse, both of which were fine. "Well, I think its just one of those rare headaches so I'll give you this tonic, two sips every two hours should be enough. I'll say that to Gwen as well. If its still bad at the end of the day tell me and I'll get you something stronger".

"Thank you Gaius" she said taking a bottle of clear liquid off him and putting it on the bedside table. He went to check her eyes, to make sure they were clear but as he reached over his arm brushed off hers and the shoulder of her dressing gown fell down. She was wearing a nightdress that had straps instead of sleeves so you could see her upper arm. Gaius and Merlin both saw the white scar on her arm clearly, it wasn't big but they did see it. Mira quickly pulled her sleeve up, blushing slightly.

"Forgive me Mira, but can I see that scar?" asked Gaius carefully. Mira hesitated, her fingers wrapped tightly around the dressing gown. Reluctantly she nodded and let it fall. Gaius quickly examined it and realised at once that it was caused by a sharp knife, he had seen to many scars not to.

"Eh, its stupid really. I was out in the woods and I caught my arm on a bit of bark, it was sharp and well, I got a scar out of it" she lied. But even Merlin could see that the cut had been deep, no piece of bark could cause it, besides it was too clean.

"This looks like a knife wound Mira, one that got hardly any treatment as well" Gaius observed, slightly shocked. She swallowed and tensed, automatically glancing at the door as if he would walk in. "Mira?" he prompted looking in that direction.