23

"And may I present the victor of our Jousting Tournament, Prince Arthur!". King Uther's voice filled the room but was drowned by clapping as Arthur made his way to the High Table. He smiled his thanks to people as he passed and they bowed. He deliberately looked over to Mira's side as he walked past her, at which he caught her eye as she curtsied. Gwaine, Leon, Lancelot, Percival and Elyan all clapped proudly beside her.

Arthur reluctantly forced himself to look away from Mira, he thought she looked beautiful. With her hair down and slightly curled with gold and silver beads spread around looking like they were actually part of her hair, a long midnight-blue dress with short lace-like sleeves the same colour and gold trimmings around the dress and sleeves. Breathtaking was what he thought, but to him it looked like others thought the same. Once he was at the table Uther motioned to everyone to sit down and servants came out with platters of food and jugs of wine. Merlin took his usual spot behind the High Table standing at Arthur's chair and Gwen took hers beside Mira.

"I don't think I've seen so much food in my entire life!" Mira laughed to Gwen who giggled.

"Yes, there is rather a lot isn't there?".

Talk and laughter filled the room as people ate. Beside Mira, Gwaine piled up his plate full of ham, potatoes, bread, cheese, chicken, beef and vegetables. He ate so fast all she could do was watch. "Don't eat too fast Gwaine, or you'll get hiccups" she grinned.

"I'm not a child Mira " he replied, but you could barely hear him because his mouth was so full.

"She's right Gwaine" said Percival from her other side, leaning over so he could see him.

"Says the man who eats everything" Gwaine retorted.

"And yet we're still in shape" laughed Leon.

"Yeah, I look after myself. Unlike some people" added Elyan, eying Lanceot who was talking to Gwen.

"Here, have some more wine" Percival joked pouring more into his glass knowing it would give him hiccups. Gwaine made a face at him and the Knight laughed.

"More?" he asked Mira, seriously this time though.

"Please". He poured some more of the red liquid into her glass.

"You look lovely tonight Mira" smiled Gwaine proudly.

"Thanks, Gwen helped me. She's amazing!" Mira directed this at Gwen who had just walked back to her.

"Oh, hush" she laughed.

"Well done, Arthur" congratulated Uther, patting his son on the shoulder.

"Thank you Father" the Prince replied.

"I'm proud of you" the King continued and Arthur brightened up. He just nodded his thanks. His gaze flickered over to Mira who was laughing with the Knights. How Arthur wished he was part of that conversation, at least he had Merlin. His Father had never been the same after Morgana, he didn't talk as much as he used to at banquets, Arthur thought it reminded him of her.

Mira listened to the Knights arguing over what was best: sword tournaments or jousting tournaments. She chuckled when they all turned to her to ask her. "I'm not getting into this".

"I'm afraid you already are in it" Leon grinned.

She thought for a moment. "Well, I suppose they're both different. In a sword-fighting tournament you see a Knight's skill on ground, for example his footwork and the way he can use a sword in general. While in jousting tournaments you see their riding skills as well as strength. Well, they both show strength but especially in jousting. So I can't pick to be honest with you". She blushed when they were all quiet but they looked impressed.

"I mean seriously, where did you get her?!" cried Percival to Gwaine.

"It occurred to me that I've never taught you how to fight with a sword" Gwaine smiled.

"Oh, well I know a bit...." she replied not knowing where this was going.

"Okay, tomorrow, noon, I'm going to begin your training".

"What?!" she exclaimed.

"Yeah, should be good. Can we come?" asked Elyan.

"Sure, we'll make a day out of it" agreed Gwaine.

"Come on Mira, it'll be fun" pressed Lancelot.

"I'd love to! Don't get me wrong" she replied.

"So what will we go over?" asked Leon.

"Well I was thinking basic stuff, you know, starter" Gwaine went on to talk about footwork and they all started having a discussion about what would be best for Mira.

"Do I get a say in this?" she asked.

"No" they all said at the same time before continuing with the conversation.

She rolled her eyes with a laugh towards Gwen who laughed too. As she was watching them, Mira felt like someone was looking at her from the top of the room. She turned to look and saw Arthur's eyes casually turn to Merlin.

Was he looking at me? Mira thought. She decided he wasn't but a small part of her wasn't too sure.

"Mira" she felt someone tap her shoulder and looked up to see Gwen with a knowing but serious look in her eyes.

"S-sorry...I was in my own world" she mumbled.

"I noticed" Gwen smiled and squeezed her shoulder lightly.

"Oh, look the dancing's started" observed Gwaine,"Come on". He grabbed Mira's hand and pulled her up on to the floor.

Arthur watched from a distance and wished that he was the one holding Mira like that, watching her laugh. She'd seen him looking at her, he'd looked away but he wasn't sure if she'd really realised he was he was looking at her.