19

Lancelot lit up when he saw Guinevere walking towards him. Ever since he'd become a Knight, like he'd always dreamed, they'd been able to spend more time together. "Hello Gwen" Lancelot leaned down and kissed her.

She felt her heart speed up like it always did when she was near him. "How was training?" she asked taking his arm as they began to walk around the grounds.

"Good" he replied,"So who are you supporting, me or Elyan?".

She laughed. "Let me think about it...hmmm...I suppose you".

"I'm honoured my Lady" Lancelot put a hand over his heart and laughed with her.

"So what are you doing this evening with the Knights?" Gwen questioned leaning her head on his shoulder.

"We're going on patrol".

"Do you think you'd be back early enough to have dinner with me?" she smiled hopefully.

"Yes, I'd love to! But aren't you working tonight?".

"Mira gave me the day off" she said.

"That was kind" he remarked.

"Yes, she's always like that though...Did you hear she gave something like fifteen gold coins to three boys once?" asked Gwen.

"Yeah, we were all talking about it. Gwaine most of all, he was very proud you see" he laughed, but then it died in his throat,"Its terrible what she's been through though".

Gwen nodded. "To have your home taken like that, your Father...all in one. Its horrible and yet she still shows me kindness all the time".

"She appreciates what she has, it's a good quality. After hearing what happened it's clear why she and Gwaine are so close" Lancelot replied.

"She told me that her Uncle locked her in her room for two days without food or water! Can you believe it? Apparently after that she moved her room into a tower that had a secret door that he didn't know about" Gwen told him. Lancelot shook his head, it was too terrible.

"She's smart" he went on,"Everyone likes her".

"Yeah, I'm so glad she's here! I couldn't imagine a better friend" Gwen smiled,"So about dinner. What would you like?".

"Oh, hard question! Surprise me!" Lancelot grinned.

She got that feeling in her stomach she always got when he looked at her like that, that warm tingly feeling that made her heart soar.

———————————————————————————

Mira was buried in her book. She loved books, snatched up any she could get. Geoffrey of Monmouth had become quite used to seeing her in his Hall of Records. She was sitting up against a tree with Raven nibbling on some grass beside he. The sun shone through the trees and the birds sang. She was at the end of the book. Suddenly she heard laughing and shouting but the book was so good that she ignored it.

"Mira!".

Gwaine's voice called to her. "Mmmm???" she hummed, not taking her eyes off the book. The last few pages!

"Mira I could be a bandit and you are just ignoring me" he went on.

"Right...".

Last page! Mira's heart was beating so fast she thought it might burst out of her chest.

"Mira?".

The last line!

"Mira?".

She sighed longingly as she closed the book.

"Come on Mira, communicate!".

She stood up and looked over. Her cheeks immediately went on absolute fire!

Every. Single. Knight. Including Arthur and Merlin were on their horses looking at her.

"I....I....I was reading" she stuttered.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

"Sure".

"Book good? You looked like you were buried in it".

Merlin saved her life, he reminded her of what was going on. "Oh, yes. It was great!" she smiled, then looked at Gwaine,"I was on the last page".

He grinned. "You and your books, the world would have to wait to end if you weren't finished".

She laughed, before asking,"Are you out on patrol?".

"Yes, we'll be out for a while now" replied Arthur.

"Did you train today?" she asked.

"Yes, jousting today. I think everyone's sick of being on horses at this stage" the Prince replied an easy smile slipping on to his face.

"I hope nobody got too hurt" she said, returning his smile.

"No I don't think so" he answered.

"Easy for you to say" laughed Leon.

"Eh?! You too!" cried Percival turning to look at him. They started talking about it and comparing who got hit more.

Gwaine pulled up beside her. "You okay?".

Mira nodded reassuringly and he smiled, walking his horse over to the others.

"What are you going to do now Mira?" asked Elyan.

"Em...Go for a ride I guess" she answered,"I need to get this back to Lord Geoffrey as well". She gestured to the old book at her feet.

"Which one of us will you be supporting at the Joust my Lady?" chuckled Lancelot.

"Oh, hard question" Mira giggled.

"We're flattered Lady Mira, but I think we should put the others out of their misery and tell them that I'm the one you'll support" grinned Leon, he walked his horse over to her and she rubbed it's nose affectionately.

"You can't win the Lady by showing her nice horses Leon" continued Percival, he rode over and forced Leon to move so he was in front of Mira,"It takes beautiful things". He handed her a flower with a dashing, but messing, smile.

"Thank you Percival" she laughed.

"How about I find you the greatest book ever written?" Elyan asked coming up jokingly beside the other two.

"I'm sorry, I didn't get to finish. I'll get you the fastest horse in Camelot" continued Leon.

"Eh, Leon, I think that would take a lot of races" called Arthur.

"Sire, please you're blowing my chances!". The reply was a hearty laugh.

The three men in front of her began bickering about who was best, but each wore a smile. Gwaine joined in saying he'd kill the first one who went near her.

"Gentlemen!" Mira called and they all looked at her,"Your offers are all very kind, but I'm not going to choose one of you because you say you'll give me the world".

They all grinned. "Come on, who would you choose?" begged Elyan.

She bit her lip. "I like you all equally".

"You're too nice Mira" smiled Leon,"And that's a compliment". She smiled brightly.

"But if you change your mind you know where to find us" joked Percival. She laughed and mounted her own horse after picking up her book.

"I'll see you later then" called Gwaine.

"Of course" she replied and bowed her head towards Arthur, who smiled warmly at her, before turning around and urging Raven into a gallop. She heard the Knights calling goodbye to her as she left.

Mira made her way to the Lake of Avalon, the place Merlin and Gwen had shown her. She sat there for a while, gazing out at the water, there was something about that place.

Something she couldn't explain...