13

The Knights, Arthur and Merlin had gone out on a patrol, Guinevere was doing some laundry. Mira walked out into the courtyard and made her way over to the stables. It was cloudy that day and quite cold but as usual she'd forgotten to bring her cloak out so all she had on was her green silk, v-necked dress with a gold belt. She'd gone all the way so she wasn't bothered to turn back and go all the way to her chambers.

Mira peeked through the door of the stables and saw Raven down near the back. She felt a tug on her dress and looked down to see three little boys, aged from around six to nine. Probably some stable-hands, she guessed. They wore old trousers and white shirts that had turned grey and dust covered their shoes from where they'd been running around. "We'll wash and feed your horse for two gold coins Miss" said the oldest eagerly. There were footsteps and a guard came over.

"So sorry my Lady" he apologised, then turned to the boys and said gruffly,"Run along now, don't disturb Lady Mira".

"No its fine, really, they weren't disturbing me" she smiled kindly at the three boys.

Gaius, who happened to be walking down the steps, saw what was going on.

"If you're sure my Lady" nodded the guard.

"I am". He bowed slightly and walked back to his post, leaving Mira to wonder how everyone seemed to be learning her name.

She turned back to the small boys and smiled,"Tell you what, if you wash and feed my horse, the black one at the end, see? Make sure she's alright and I'll give you five gold coins, how does that sound?".

"Five gold coins!" cried the middle child, who looked about eight.

"Five coins each" Mira answered.

"Each?!" exclaimed the oldest,"Come on boys! We'll make sure your horse is looked after, thank you Miss!".

With that they raced into the stables and over to Raven, the eight year old grabbed a bucket of water and smiled broadly at Mira as he passed. She giggled at their determination. Gaius marvelled at her kindness, fifteen gold coins wasn't nothing.

Merlin was definitely right about her, he thought. No Lady of the Court that he'd seen had ever been so generous. Gaius made his way over to her as Mira watched the three boys chatting away while they cleaned and fed Raven. "My Lady" he bowed his head to her.

She jumped and turned towards him, but a smile spread on her face as she curtsied. "Hello Gaius, oh and please call me Mira".

He nodded with a smile in return. "I was passing and saw what you did for those boys" Gaius explained,"That was very kind".

"It was nothing believe me" she replied.

"Fifteen gold coins? That's more than their parents would earn in nearly a week" he told her.

"They need it more than I do" she smiled,"Besides, look at how excited they are".

"You have a good heart" he added,"Mia".

"Thank you" her smile dimmed slightly at his compliment, she was astounded, she hadn't thought about giving them the money as very generous.  After twenty minutes the boys were done and she reached into her purse and gave each boy five gold coins. "Keep that safe and take it home" she advised and they all nodded enthusiastically.

"Thank you Miss" they sang before running off home.

"Would you care to join me for a walk to the Lower Town?" Gaius asked offering his arm.

"I'd like that very much" Mira took his arm gladly.

"Gaius, can I ask you something?" she asked about half an hour later as they were nearing the Great Gates.

"Of course" he replied.

"Gwaine and the others, except Leon, they aren't noble and the Prince made them Knights. But the King is against commoners becoming Knights, why hasn't he done something?" Mira asked curiously.

"This is between you and me" Gaius started and she nodded.

"The King is trying to be strong after Morgana's betrayal but it has hit him very hard, he isn't that well. I think he knows about them but at the same time it doesn't occur to him that they aren't noble as it used to. Arthur has had to lead the Kingdom to a certain extent because Uther is becoming unable to do so in a way".

"And do you think he will recover?".

"Only time will tell, Mira, but it doesn't look good" Gaius sighed and patted her hand.

"I can't believe....Its awful" Mira replied quietly.

"It is, but Arthur has been very brave and strong for his People".

"That's what I've been told, yes. Gwaine and others I've talked to speak very highly of him" she agreed.

"He has grown into a fine young man, I must say" Gaius nodded. They started to walk back towards the castle.

In the courtyard they saw the Knights riding through the other gates, back from their patrol. Gwaine, after seeing her, rode over to them. "Good afternoon Mira, Gaius" he bowed his head and smiled fondly down at them,"Where have you been?".

"Gaius and I went for a walk down to the Lower Town" Mira replied,"How was the patrol?".

"Good, I picked this for you along the way" Gwaine grinned proudly and produced a flower with yellow petals, he leaned down and handed it to her. "Oh, Gwaine! Its beautiful, thank you!" she twirled the flower in her hand.

"I'm glad you like it!". He swung himself down off the saddle and handed the reins to a stable-hand who led his horse away.

"Mira gave fifteen gold coins to three boys today" stated Gaius witha chuckle. Arthur's, Merlin's and all the Knights' ears perked up at fifteen gold coins, but they tried not to look over.

"Fifteen?" asked Gwaine. "As I said to Gaius earlier, they need it more than I do" she answered.

Gwaine kissed her on the cheek in reply. "Can I steal her Gaius?" he asked with a chuckle.

"Of course, I look forward to seeing you again Mira" the old man smiled warmly.

"I do too, thank you, I had a lovely time" Mira said goodbye before taking Gwaine's arm and walking up the steps into the Palace.