𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐈. The pain

╔═════ ✧ ♡ ✧ ═════╗

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐎𝐧𝐞

(𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚙𝚊𝚒𝚗)

╚═════ ✧ ♡ ✧ ═════╝

°˖✧ ♡ ✧˖°

𝐉𝐚𝐜𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐧𝐞𝐝 to class as if she never left. As if she didn't spend a week in hiding from her friends, herself and most importantly, Sirius Black. But that doesn't matter anymore, because Jacqueline is back. Keeping to her new motto of being kind and courageous.

However, her DADA professor makes it hard for Jacqueline to maintain this new life purpose. As she enters the classroom, Jacqueline spies the three unforgivable curses written on the board. Jacqueline slides into an empty row, not yet ready to face her friends.

James slides in next to her with a soft smile on his face.

"I thought I told you to stop hovering" Jacqueline speaks to him without moving her head from the board. Dread drips into her heart, a reaction she isn't sure where it came from. She is picking at her nails again, nervous for what is coming.

"You look like you need some company. And Lily is with Marlene anyway" James shrugs, noticing her displeasure with the class learnings.

Their professor begins her speech about the dangerousness of using any of the unforgivable curses.

"The cruciatus curse inflicts unbearable pain onto the subject, something that is inappropriate to demonstrate in class for obvious reasons. It has been suggested that the caster must have emotions strong enough to properly cast the spell".

Jacqueline shudders at the thought. She imagines how different her life would've been had the Rodger's been wizards. How they would've found new ways to torture her. Sirius flinching caught her eye from a few seats away, something that James also notices. The two share a look, and Jacqueline's lips drop at the realisation. Merlin, how insensitive of her, talking about what could've been when it has happened to others. At least that's what it looks like. The relief that Sirius has someone like James to get him through. And what hit her harder is the thought that Regulus doesn't have that. Her mind remains stagnant on the brothers, the idea that something so horrid could happen to them. Jacqueline doesn't even realise the Professor has moved onto the killing curse, and then Imperius.