𝐈 the griffin christmas

╔═════ ✧ ♡ ✧  ═════╗

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐎𝐧𝐞

(𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚐𝚛𝚒𝚏𝚏𝚒𝚗 𝚌𝚑𝚛𝚒𝚜𝚝𝚖𝚊𝚜)

  ╚═════ ✧ ♡ ✧ ═════╝

°˖✧ ♡ ✧˖°

𝐉𝐚𝐜𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞 𝐣𝐨𝐥𝐭𝐬 𝐚𝐰𝐚𝐤𝐞 the morning of Christmas Day. Sun rays peak through her certain, basking her room with a golden glow, but provide no warmth. Tiny hands grasp her arm, shaking it back and forth, not realising she was already awake.

Jacqueline feels like her eyes are sagging from their sockets, weighing down under her recent responsibilities. A 4-year-old girl is her assailant, her brown hair ratted onto her head and her puppy dog eyes wide with excitement.

Gwen was dropped on the Griffin's doorstep a month before the December break. All of the girls arrived under unfortunate circumstances, but Gwen's is heartbreaking. Gwen is a child born out of wedlock, and such a story could be damning. So, her mother decided to give her up, her father being the one to pass her to Rosie, with hopes that he will be able to contact her and see how she is going.

Gwen is a sweetheart, resembling snow white with her rosy cheeks and pale complexion; but calling her a handful is a minor understatement. She never left Jacqueline's side, and slept in her room since there were no beds left.

Jacqueline was definitely shocked to find out about the new addition, since Rosie had reassured her that they wouldn't be taking any more kids in for a while. She was still refurbishing the attic to fit some beds and would only be done in over a year, and they currently had no more room.

But yet, Jacqueline ripped open her mail a few days before the holiday to find a letter from Rosie. Reading the words, Jacqueline's heart sunk a little and her guilt caused it to weigh down even more.

"What is it?" Dorcas spoke, as she reached out to take Jacqueline's hand, worried about the news.

Jacqueline recollected herself before speaking, "We have another Griffin in the family."

"Congratulations" Mary smiled with such warmth radiating.

"You know we are always here for you. We will always be willing to help your family" Dorcas reassured.

Family. That's just it. These girls are her family, and she shouldn't feel so forlorn about taking care of them. The guilt festered and Jacqueline felt out of control for that brief moment.