Chapter 9

Day of Regionals

Aubrey's POV

I paced up and down the backstage, waiting for the rest of the group to arrive. They weren't going to be here for a while, considering the competition starts in nine hours. I just liked to be early.

2 hours later...

"Aubrey." Someone called my name from behind and it sounded like Chloe.

"Finally, you're here." I sighed in relief.

"Aubrey, we have a problem." Chloe exclaimed.

"What, what's the problem?" I panicked.

"Beca, she's lost her voice." Chloe inhaled and exhaled deeply. A short brunette appeared from behind Chloe. She had a small whiteboard that said;

'Sorry'.

"But what about Human, you have to belt. You're the only one who can belt those notes." I flailed my arms in annoyance. "No one else can belt those notes."

She began to write on her whiteboard.

'Stacie.'

"What?" I scrunched my eyebrows.

"Stacie, Stacie can belt." Chloe reminded herself.

"What?" A taller brunette appeared from behind Chloe.

"You, you can belt?" I shook Stacie, I wanted to shake the answer out of her.

"Um, I suppose. I don't know." She blushed and stuttered.

"Please Stacie, Beca's lost her voice, you need to take her solo. You need to belt." I confirmed her of the situation.

"But I'll keep belting and belting until I puke, everywhere." She groaned.

"Please Stace. This is our only chance at going through." I took her wrists before she walked away.

"Okay. But if I puke, you're cleaning it up." She wagged her finger at me.

"Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you." I hugged her tight around the stomach.

"Okay Bree, don't kill me." She wheezed, losing her breath.

"And next up is, Barden High School, The Majortones." The presenter pointed to us, indicating that we should come on stage. Stacie had gotten a few practices in before we arrived on stage.

"Are you okay Stacie?" I asked her, she was shaking with nerves.

"Yeah, I'll be fine." She blew her cheeks up like a balloon and forces a smile.

We all walked onto the stage and took our places. From left to right; Chloe, Stacie, Emily and Jesse at the front with standing microphones. At the back, from left to right; Donald, Greg, Me, Beca, Benji and Luke. Since Beca had no voice, she would have to lay low and sing the alto back vocals quietly.

And we started.

Intro...

[Chloe]

I can hold my breath,

I can bite my tongue,

I can stay awake for days,

If that's what you need,

Be your number one.

[Jesse]

I can fake a smile,

I can force a laugh,

I can dance and play the part,