-3-

"I'll have a number one combo with a cola and a number three ten count with a sweet tea."

"Will that be it today?"

"Yes."

"That'll be $15.60 at the first window."

"Thank you!" I pulled forward and they quickly got my food out for me. I called Katelyn and she picked up on the second ring.

"Y'ellow."

"Hey, on on my way over. I have something huge to tell you."

"Perfect. See you soon." I hung up and thought about what I read last night. My dad must've snuck the letter into my boxes before we pulled out of the university parking lot. She had intended me to read it when I turned eighteen, but I obviously didn't get it until I turned twenty-three. I needed to work out my thoughts about it with Katelyn, she always helped me when I needed it. I pulled into the parking lot and pulled out my phone to text her that made it there. I stepped out of the car and got a response from Katelyn. She was telling me to go to one of the picnic tables outside and she'd meet me there. I felt like it was a little cold to eat outside, but I figured that she knew what she was talking about so I went to the one closest to the door and scrolled on my phone till she arrived.

Laurance's POV

"Thou fond mad man, hear me a little speak." I said, facing Aaron.

He looked down at his script. "O, thou wilt speak again of banishment."

I saw Katelyn look down at her phone and type something out. "I'll give thee armor to keep off that word: Adversity's sweet milk, philosophy, to-"

"Alright, guys. Take thirty for lunch." She typed more on her phone and walked out of the auditorium. 

I frowned and looked over at Garroth, where he was being fitted for costumes in the wings. "Was it just me or was Katelyn acting weird?"

"A little, I guess. But she's been stressed out about the play, so I'm not surprised."

"Alright, you're all done." Cadenza told him and he dropped his arms. "Come on, you guys. That's not it."

"What is it then?" Travis peaked his head out of the wings.

"She's having lunch with a friend. In fact, I'm going to go say hi to them, too." With that, Cadenza left, too.

Travis gave a mischievous look. "I have to see who it is."

"Travis, she obviously doesn't want us to know who it is. Let's just let it go."

"Come on, Laurance! Aren't you curious?"

"No."

"Liar." He grabbed my arm and started pulling me along.

"Dude!" I exclaimed, but followed him anyway.

We got into the main area and Travis looked out the window, trying to find her. "Hay, there she is! And that girl that she's with has a fi-iiine-" He suddenly stopped talking.

"What?" I looked out and saw Katelyn at a picnic table eating a burger with a girl. I could only see the back of her, but understood how Travis felt. She had a gorgeous figure and mid length curly blonde hair that was dyed darker at the bottom. She was picking at what look like nuggets and took a sip of her cup. "Who's that?"

"You know what, you were right. Maybe we should go." He started trying to lead me away, but I stood frozen, trying to get a better glimpse of the girl. Then... I wish I hadn't. The sound of a loud truck rang through the air and she turned her head. I only saw her right half and it had been years, but I recognized her immediately. She had a nose ring along with a few more piercings in her ears and wore her old thin rimmed glasses, but her face was still the same. I saw her bright green eyes and the freckle at the top of her cheekbone and the light sprinkle of freckles on her nose that crinkled as she smiled. My heart clenched.

Leo.

Leona's POV

"Woah."

"I know, right."

"A letter from your mom."

"Biological mom. I don't have a real mother." I corrected her. After I quickly said hi to Cadenza, I spilled the news about the letter to Katelyn.

"Still. Why did dad hide it?"

"First of all, we don't know that dad was hiding it. Second of all, I have no clue." I poked at a chicken nugget.

"So, what did it say?"

I took a sip of my tea and looked away, smiling to make it seem lighter. "She explained why she gave me up."

"Woah. Why?"

I looked down at my hands, picking at my cuticles. "Apparently, she was my bio dad's secretary and one night stand. After their night together, she told him about me and he got mad and fired her. He was ashamed of me, and I was just a reminder of his betrayal since he had a wife and children of his own. She said that she wanted to be able to give me the love that I deserved, but just couldn't find it in her to do it so she gave me up to give me that chance."

"Anything else."

I swallowed. One more thing. "She told me her name. And to contact her when I'm ready."

We sat in silence for a minute. "So. What are you going to do?"

"I... I don't know. I think I just might." I tucked my hair behind my ear. "I'm curious."

Aphmau walked out of the building. "Ahh! Leona!"

"Hey, Aph!" I gave her a hug.

"I had no idea you were here! Too bad I didn't come out sooner." She faced Katelyn. "It's time to start rehearsal, again."

She looked down at her phone. "Shoot, you're right." She gave me an apologetic look. "Talk more later?"

"Definitely." I threw my bag over my shoulder. "Can't wait to see the play next week! Break a leg, guys!"

"Bye, Leona!" She gave me a big grin and walked back inside with Aphmau.

I started walking towards the car but picked up my phone and the letter from my bag when I got close. I stared at the number on the paper and considered it for a moment. Then I put them back in my bag, hopped in my car, and turned the key. Maybe... maybe not yet.

Thanks for reading!